• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New model Ruger Black hawk

survivalshop

It is a Blackhawk with adjustable sights, right?  Not the Vaquero?

The Vaquero will NOT handle the Ruger-Only loads!!!

In my Bisley Blackhawk Convertible, I have been shooting 300gr JHPs over a mid-range Ruger-Only load of Lil' Gun, 19gr.  Smokin'!!  And accurate too!

Dang thing has me hooked...now I want one in .357 Magnum!

Jon

Adj. sights & I see I can load the 240 XTP bullets( just got some & Starline brass ) up there with my .44 mags , I can't wait .

I have to wait another week for it to pass LE back ground & grace period . Never heard of that one down here ,but I got it the day it came into the shop used ,but you would never know it was used.

The other one that he traded or sold to the shop was the same ,but 4.5 " bbl. & I liked it right away, nice feel & balance.

I'll post some photos this weekend , but got to shoot her today ( in the rain ) I loaded some of the original Blue dot ( 20+ years young )& 2400 loads .

The Blue dot was a light weight , barely broke 1000 fps , very nice to shoot ( will go up with load ) , but the 22.5 & 23 gr. of 2400 were in the mid 1300"s , very sharp recoil off my rest. Could not get a good hold on the revolver off this type rest , will use my other one next time.

I do not care for the sights , not sure if it was me & my Ray Bans or the rain, shot some fair groups with test loads though , for first time out .

I may go pick up the 4 1/2" bbl. one that's at the store , very tempting. Nice pair , my o'lady likes the SA "s

2400 has a great and long reputation...but it doesn't hold a candle to Lil' Gun!  Lil' Gun will get you the same velocities with 1/3 lower chamber pressures and less felt recoil.

I've done .45 Colt loads with up to the max Red Dot and still lots of room to go Lil' Gun loads, using 300gr JHPs.  The LG I want to say I stopped at 19.2-ish gr, due to running out of space in my work-up box (one powder weight, skip a row, another powder weight, skip a row, etc.)

One reason I like the Bisley grip more than the plow handle, it is easier to get a good grip for my hands.  Would like to get some custom grips by Esmerelda.  Or Esmerelda!

Jon

I looked closely at the sights & could see some finish  worn off both the front & back blade & base . Good old Alumiblack & man did it make a difference , no more glare . Still may get a fiber optic for the front , but these will do nicely for now . Holster ware ?

I am going to boost my Blue Dot loads up( think I can go two more grains if I need to .) & may use some Unique & see how that does. Than there's H110 also, might be too slow though.

Nice to play with another new caliber . I have loaded some Cowboy lead up for some ,but no heavy loads like this can shoot.

The sights still seem to wash out on me ( could be age & nothing to do with the sights )

I seem to be going with the old Hercules Blue dot , Best ES & SD & recoil was not bad at all . Must have been the rest I was using , my Caldwell & sand bag worked much better than the other pistol rest.

I shot a bunch off hand to see how it would do & I didn't do too bad for a new( to me )revolver . Printed good groups off the rest ,while on the chronograph .

Might get some paint for the sights to put a three dot configuration , I will be hunting with this pistol & need some thing .

Beautiful gun. I've got a FA 454, same barrel length, which I think is the best for balance and performance. I shoot .45 out of mine as well. I find that the Casull is pretty punishing, even with magnaporting, not to mention too expensive. Mine is a very (to me) heavy revolver, do you know what yours weighs? BTW, I've got a fiber optic front blade on mine and highly recommend it. With the FO , even with my poor eyesight, I have no problem picking up the front sight.

Beautiful gun. I've got a FA 454, same barrel length, which I think is the best for balance and performance. I shoot .45 out of mine as well. I find that the Casull is pretty punishing, even with magnaporting, not to mention too expensive. Mine is a very (to me) heavy revolver, do you know what yours weighs? BTW, I've got a fiber optic front blade on mine and highly recommend it. With the FO , even with my poor eyesight, I have no problem picking up the front sight.

Don't know the weight , going to check Rugers sight or weigh it my self .

Ya talked me into the FO front sight , should be here the 24 th from my Brownells order this week .

planeflyer21

I might try LG powder ,but right now I will use what I have on hand . I did order some 250 gr. XTP bullets to try , hell they were $ 5 .00 cheaper than the 240 gr. XTP's , go figure . Not sure if I want to go with the 300 gr. bullets , might try them though , what the hell, I like big bullets. <thumbsup>

I went to the fun store & the shorter barreled brother of this one was still there ( they were brought in together ) , so I put some moneys down on it , so now I have a 5 1/2" & a 4 1/2" Blackhawks in 45Colt .

I have a nice photo of it , I think you all will like  & its not just the revolver .I'll down load it later.

I will let the wife have the shorter version & cast some lead for it , I have a 228 gr. round nose , I can cast for it. Nice light load for her .

I have a nice photo of it , I think you all will like  & its not just the revolver .I'll down load it later.

Man, ss, you weren't kiddin'!!!  Thanks for that pic! 

Now, where's the pic of the Blackhawk you promised us?...  <lmao>

• 2 weeks later...