• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

.308 Tactical Project

MMM1LA

Factory built at that price : Larue, I have one, can shoot the dick off a tick at any range!

He ain't lyin'...  I witnessed it.  He brought this rifle out here to AZ just a few weeks ago, and I shot it.  I want it.  There are very, very few factory-built rifles I'd even consider, but this is one of them.

Now, the price has gone up - they're around $3.5k now.  IMHO, since you're goal is $3k on the rifle, then don't stop there.  Wait for another 500 bucks, add that to the pot, and just get the LaRue.  You're almost at that with your budget - don't quit now.  <thumbsup>

Me shooting his, for the first time at 4,600 feet AGL, rifle had been zero'd around sea level, with Federal Gold Medal Match, and brought here.  Now, it's at 4,600 feet, shooting a different brand of match ammo (not FGGM), and it nailed the 200-yd swinger first shot.  That says alot about the rifle, right there. 

He ain't lyin'...  I witnessed it.  He brought this rifle out here to AZ just a few weeks ago, and I shot it.  I want it.  There are very, very few factory-built rifles I'd even consider, but this is one of them.

Now, the price has gone up - they're around $3.5k now.  IMHO, since you're goal is $3k on the rifle, then don't stop there.  Wait for another 500 bucks, add that to the pot, and just get the LaRue.  You're almost at that with your budget - don't quit now.  <thumbsup>

Me shooting his, for the first time at 4,600 feet AGL, rifle had been zero'd around sea level, with Federal Gold Medal Match, and brought here.  Now, it's at 4,600 feet, shooting a different brand of match ammo (not FGGM), and it nailed the 200-yd swinger first shot.  That says alot about the rifle, right there. 

That is impressive! LaRue is so close to me too. Hard to say if its worth almost a grand more than the GAP. Thanks for making the decision even tougher.

The 16" LaRue OBR, to me, is the most versatile rifle on the market. Close range to long range, that rifle can do it.

My only other option would be the Colt CM901. Although that would consist of carrying two uppers. Maybe a 20" accurized .308, and a 9" .300blk.

Both options are over $3k though. I just don't look at GAP as a "Tactical Rifle". What's "Tactical" about killing paper you can't see with the naked eye?

Personally, if I were on a budget, and HAD to buy off the shelf, I'd but the AR10A or the DPMS Recon. Both are $1500, which saves me lots of $$$ for extra goodies. Anyone that says those are shitty rifles, needs to sell all their guns and get into knitting. They obviously have no clue wtf they are talking about, and they need a new hobby.

That is Soooo true !

His LaRue is very nice. Even I could hit metal with it using cheap $17.99 a box ammo. But that scope didn't make it much of a challenge. Kinda like putting a cherry on a milkshake. You dont need it but its sure nice to have. +1 on the LaRue !