• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Sig's cherry popped

unforgiven

When to the range finally ran 3 pistols XDM 9mm,Sig Scorpion .45,S&W bodyguard rev. pics later got there late 1300 hrs overcast, humid.Ran Magteh 230 gr. 2 Sig mags 1 Wilson bought used.50 rounds 1 no slide lock,1 slide lock with round sitting on mag,2 slide lock with round halfway up ramp.First one of those removed mag reseated and fired,second time sligshot slide and fired. <dontknow>.I ran it like I got it,it was clean and oiled.I did take it apart and reassembled just to learn how to do it.I'm thinking new pistol blues <dontknow>.Brother Larry I know you'r out there what's the dillio? Felt great shot out the target pretty good.Ejection was different XDM is 4/5:00 all day long,this was almost 2:00... <dontknow>.Rene

Rene, stuff like that is hard to diagnose without having the pistol in hand. Clean it and lube it good and see how it does on the next trip to the range and let me know. Usually, slide lock issues are one of two things, either the contour of the tab on the slide lock that catches on the mag follower or the mag follower itself. If the lower barrel lug is fit really snug to the slide lock pin at lockup it might cause issues, but that usually works itself out after a few hundred rounds. If you still have problems make a note of which mags are in the gun and if the same mag does the same thing or if the problem happens with random mags. We will get it sorted out! <thumbsup>

Thanks brother. <thumbsup>  I have numbered all my mags.Will number .45 also like I said got to factory Sig and one Wilson combat that was returnedto gun shop I was by and got it for a few dollars off.I did notice the springs on Sig were stiffer than Wilson <dontknow>.Great shooter more control than 9mm right out the box.Shot 9mm both hands shoulder felt great..45 both hand,little push on rt. shoulder but not bad.Over all shoulder felt great for the amount of rounds shot. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I know I am late to this, but I am curious as to what the update might be, if any. If I was in the same boat with this weapon, personally, I would make sure she has a good run of Break-Free on the slides, and try running the Sig only mags. If it happens again pull the round out and take some measurements with a micrometer and make sure the bullet is seated in the case correctly. I don't have any experience with the Scorpion specifically.

Sig is pretty famous for their magazine springs, in all the years we were running them at work we had about 110 sworn, 80 or so of those carrying 2 mags on the belt and one in the gun...no spring failures. Those mags rarely, if ever, had the tension taken off for a "rest".when we transitioned to our first Sigs.

I would bet, tho, that if you call Sig the first thing they are going to do is send you two new mags to make certain it isn't a feed ramp issue with your mags.

just info..

when we transitioned to our first Sigs back in 1990ish, myself and the other rangemasters did a test...we had a 226 9mm that we never cleaned. We just kept it lubed with Break-Free...about every 500 rounds we'd pull the slide, lube the runners, and reassemble and run some more.

After 1500 rounds it was ugly to look at but still going. After 3000 we gave up and cleaned it. Actually, one of the rangemasters took it to Sig Armorers School and showed it off, then cleaned it and ran it at the school for 2 weeks.

Heminut is right...beyond what he has given you diagnosing it without seeing it happen or having it in yer hot little hand is tough to do.

I running 230gr. Magtec ball,On the last go around out of 50 had 1 Sig mag with only 7 of 8 and for some reason when I slingshot the slide round wouldn't ramp up.Was half was and pinched with slide on case I pushed round to the back of mag and tried again same thing.Rmoved round pulled slide back chamber round shot rest of  mag without problem.Had another where slide locked back with last round in mag [which happened before].Had less FTF this time.Before I took it for a spin took it apart and cleaned I use CLP always,put weaponshield on slide.100 rounds seems to be running better.Guy at the shop said it took his Kimber a few hundred rounds to break in.I want to break this in really bad to make it my carry pistol.It is easy to shoot feels great in my hand.Shreads bulls,with bedwetters wearing body armor wanted to step up from 9mm XDM I had.I also carry S&W bodyguard revolver when doing alot of driving.Different tools for different jobs.Use a Blackhawk Sherpa holster for 1911 & XDM I like the retention feature.I get back to work brother Larry [Hemi] is 1911 wizard so he'll take it to the next level.Great pistol. <thumbsup>

Rene, do me a favor, brother - take the slide off your pistol.  Get me a picture of the lower, side shot, and the upper, inside the slide.  I want to look at the mating surfaces, and the interface between upper and lower.  <thumbsup>

You got it brother I'll charge up camera and get it to you tommorow.Using 2 fac. Sig mags and 1 Wilson combat.Guy at a shop in Lansing Ill., owner ex-FBI,counter guys are L.E.O. mentioned Kimber mags were good also.Also cheaper [a little].You probably want me to clean the damn thing to. :o <laughs>

Nope, no cleaning necessary, brother - just want to look at something from the factory on this one.

SPBCTS is talking about years worth of Sigs and experience, but the ones he's talking about aren't Sig 1911s.  There's something about this one that I want to see, and it can be grubby-dirty and still tell me what I want to know.  <thumbsup>

Rene, glad to hear the gun is settling in and starting to function better. I agree with SPBCTS, call Sig and let them know what's going on. Who knows, you could get a couple of free mags with just a phone call. As far as extra mags go, I've been using Chip McCormick (CMC) mags for years in both the 8 & 10 round varieties and even 7 rounders for my Officers Model and have never had a mag related issue with them. Some I've had for over 15 years and I've never had to even replace a spring!

If you can, take your camera to the range with you and take a pic of the position of the round in the gun when you have a feed issue. Email it to me at l_srader (at) hotmail (dot) com and it will make it easier for me to see what is going on. Carry on brother! ;)

Here are some pics don't know why they aren't better.Talk to Sig this morning,they were very nice to deal with they sent a return ship tag and said about a 2 week turnaround.Told them what was happening they are going to give it to the guy that designed the pistol. <thumbsup> I should have taken pics last 2 times at the range I was in a hurry just to bang out rounds.

Awesome, Rene, and just what I thought.  Get after that coating on the locking/mating surfaces with a bronze brush or a brass brush.  Who knows how thick they applied that at the factory, and no matter how thick it is, it's going to cause drag from the slide to the receiver.

You don't need to damage the finish on the exterior surfaces, just knock that poop off the mating grooves/rails.  I'll bet that thing will run slick as greased moose poop on a linoleum floor...  <thumbsup> <laughs>

You know brother Tom sitting thinkin yea the coating sure as poop would cause a bind.Ray Charles couda seen that :o.If it wasn't addressed I will take care of that with bronze brush.I like using that brush on the bolts also does a nice job cleaning the surface.I sure am d.u.m.. <lmao>  Do all 1911 have the ramp seperate from barrel? XDM has it in one piece. <dontknow>

1911s will have a ramped porting of the receiver at the front of the magwell, and also a ramped lower section on the barrel.  Those two angles need to match pretty damn well, too.  The ramp in your barrel looks pretty damn good.  Wide as hell.  <thumbsup>

1911s will have a ramped porting of the receiver at the front of the magwell, and also a ramped lower section on the barrel.  Those two angles need to match pretty damn well, too.  The ramp in your barrel looks pretty damn good.  Wide as hell.  <thumbsup>

Unless they've had the frame milled, to use a ramped barrel.

Jon

Yup, your barrel is throated pretty good (the beveled part at the chamber opening). As Tom said, most 45's have a two part feed ramp, the frame portion and the barrel throat. That bevel leaves a small portion of the case unsupported, but the 45 ACP round is a low pressure round so it's not a problem except for the very rare times a case has been reloaded too many times and lets go in that area. In 30 years of reloading I've never seen it happen, only seen a few pictures.

The ramped barrels that Jon referred to have an integral ramp on them and the frame has to be milled to use one, after which the frame can't be used with a standard barrel.

A lot of folks are under the impression that the ramped barrels came about to correct feeding problems, but that is not the case. If you look at a 1911 barrel with the integral feed ramp you'll see that there is full support around the base of the cartridge. These barrels came about back when USPSA shooters started using the 38 Super in the Open Division because they found that lighter, faster bullets made the compensators on the pistols work better. They had to load to make Major Power Factor (bullet weight x velocity divided by 1000 = 175 or higher) and that's when the problems started. Cases started rupturing in the unsupported area of the barrel throat causing a malady known amongst USPSA shooters as 'Super Face' which consisted of little marks  peppered all over your face from the debris that blew back through the ejector channel in the slide when a case let loose.  <laughs> The ramped barrel was developed to fully support the cases of these hotrodded rounds, and the more reliable feeding was a byproduct. Nowadays pretty much all competition guns in 40 S&W, 38 Super/Super Comp and 9mm are ramped but almost none of the 45's are. It's just not an issue with the 45's.

Now that I've bored the crap out of everyone with this bit of history of the evolution of the 1911 platform I will return you to your regularly scheduled programing! <lmao>