• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Advice and education needed

Y85

Hello.  New to the forum.

Trying to build a large platform AR from scratch for fun with some buddies.  Can't really figure out all the upper-lower variants.  I have a 338Fed DPMS & I want to build something w some reach.

I was planning 260Rem or 6.5CM w a Kreiger bbl (20-22") but I can't decide what platform to build on.  Is it better to go Armalite or DPMS base?  I thought about starting w a JP PSC12 receiver (DPMS compatible) but someone suggested Mega MaTen or Armalite 10A.

QUERIES:

does the Mega MaTen interface w Armalite Lowers? 

Would it be better to start w a Mega MaTen lower and upper?

Or would folks suggest using the JP receiver and getting a DPMS-compatible lower? 

If so, what DPMS-compatible lowers would folks recommend?

Thanks for the help. It is appreciated.

If you go with the MA-TEN it is compatible with both platforms, your choice in barrel will dictate your choice in bcg. The T.m.-10 lower is DPMS compatible, from our site sponsors.

My personal suggestion is the Mega receivers, like art! JP makes quality parts, so you really can't go wrong there. How far exactly are you trying to go? A quality .308 is 1000yd capable, if I'm not mistaken the .338fed is a great long range hunting cartridge, are you looking for a target gun? If so the 6.5CM is the choice I'd make.

Was planning to shoot out to 1K at targets and as far as is necessary (within ethical limits) at deer/antelope.  That's why I was thinking about about 6.5 caliber -- good BCs for distance. 

I am still looking for advice on 260REM v 6.5CM.

I do like the 338FED as a cartridge -- have taken deer/bear with it and my son has taken bear, pronghorn, aoudad (535 yds), deer (mulie and whitetail), elk and a bunch of African antelope (plus a croc).

I am not real good with abbreviations -- what is a T.M.-10? Sorry...

I got some confusing info on the Mega MaTen -- i read somewhere that their uppers/lowers were ONLY internally compatible.  Not true?

This stuff is cool but confusing as heck.

I appreciate any advice and guidance.

Was planning to shoot out to 1K at targets and as far as is necessary (within ethical limits) at deer/antelope.  That's why I was thinking about about 6.5 caliber -- good BCs for distance. 

I am still looking for advice on 260REM v 6.5CM.Mixed pissing contest but .260 has better bullets.

I do like the 338FED as a cartridge -- have taken deer/bear with it and my son has taken bear, pronghorn, aoudad (535 yds), deer (mulie and whitetail), elk and a bunch of African antelope (plus a croc).

I am not real good with abbreviations -- what is a T.M.-10? Tactical MachiningSorry...

I got some confusing info on the Mega MaTen -- i read somewhere that their uppers/lowers were ONLY internally compatible.  Armalite pattern upper/lowerNot true?

This stuff is cool but confusing as heck.

I appreciate any advice and guidance.

Welcome to site, ask questions. There are no stupid questions only expensive mistakes.

Y85,

please excuse if I'm repeating info already given above.  You are correct in your statement that the MA TEN is only internally compatible with either the DPMS or the Armalite components. The large platform receivers, having no mil spec, are in many cases dissimilar. You cannot put an AR 10 upper on a MA TEN lower, or any DPMS pattern lower either for that matter. You also cannot use a DPMS pattern upper, or MA TEN upper, on an Armalite lower. The parts do not mate up. I personally, prefer a matched upper and lower set when building a large platform gun, but if you wish to have the most flexibility to mix and match uppers and lowers in the large platform, you should definitely go with the DPMS pattern over the Armalite, simply because there are more choices, such as the Tactical machining (TM 10) lower. there are other considerations that you will need to address after you choose your upper or lower or receiver set. We generally advise that if your barrel has an Armalite barrel extension, you should go with an Armalite BCG (or at least bolt) and if it has a DPMS type extension go with a DPMS type BCG. Also, you want to be sure to match your receiver extension length to the type of stock and the buffer you use. You can get guidance for that from Slashes chart on this forum.

All,

Excellent advice and greatly appreciated. So, at the risk of sounding like an idiot (but in the interest of avoiding expensive mistakes), I have another couple questions:

1.  If I order a chambered barrel from Krieger, do they supply the barrel extension? What about the gas block?

2.  Also, I have heard rumors of feeding problems w 6.5CM ARs -- any truth in that?

3. Is there a quality differential among DPMS-compatible lowers, if I go that route?

4. Any idea what the wait time is for the TM products?

Thanks again.

BR

In my opinion there certainly is a difference in the fit and finish from one manufactuere to the other. I've also found that there can be a difference between one example and the other coming from the same manufacturer. I don't know how particular you are with regards to upper lower fit, but keep in mind, if you decide to mix and match and you source your upper and lower from different companies, and you find that you're not happy with the fit (but it's still functionally usable) you may be out of luck as far as returning a lower or upper. That's one of the reasons the matched sets are a go way to go. Additionally, I find that the machined billet sets like the MA TEN, usually exhibit a more finished appearence than the forged components. Not that they function any better, just that they are sometimes more finely finished.