• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I broke an extractor

Just sharing my experience. 

I bought a used Bushmaster LR-308 a while back.  From what I gather, these are built by DPMS.  Anyway, I have about 400 rounds through the gun and am now replacing the extractor.  I really don't know how much it has been shot but I am just now starting to wear the finish off the contact surfaces of the bolt carrier.  I was probably asking for it by shooting Brown Bear through it.  Lesson learned lol. 

One question, o-rings.  I read a bit online about using them to increase extractor tension. Necessary??  Seems like it could potentially shorten the life of my new extractor  Going to try to stick with brass ammo in the future.

I agree with Edge. Plenty of cheap enough (relatively  <laughs>) brass ammo out there. Leave the steel for the russian rifles. They don't seem to care. Though.......in full disclosure.....I put a couple thousand rounds of steel-cased wolf through one of my armalite AR-10 carbine's. It never had a problem, and never burped while eating it up. Since then though...........nothing but brass......even cheap brass.

As far as the O-ring? Probably a matter of opinions. Armalite uses the O-ring, and I've put thousands of rounds thru (once again) one of my carbine's.

Just installed my new extractor.  I agree with the above post.  New spring is made differently and definitely tough to install.  I think my fingertips may be sore for a bit. 

Does what it should when cycling manually now.  Hopefully make a range trip in the next day or to confirm. 

• 1 month later...