• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ranier Select "MEDCON" barrel

NoFail

What do you guys think about this barrel?

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3324

I was brousing Ranier's the other day thinking about a .223 build.

I don't remember ever seeing this "MEDCON" barrel before. It's significantly less $$ than the normal "Select".

But the only difference seems to be that it is a medium contour as the Select is light contour.

Maybe I want this one, i dunno.... But it's available.

For the money, you can't go wrong.  I have a select in 308 and it shoots very consistently and accurately.  I have a 556 barrel made by the same company as the RA,though not a RA select 5 groove,and it performs very well.  That being said, they are not my best barrels, but they are close.  You can't beat the price on these. 

AR15performance makes a SOCOM profile 16 inch that is amazingly accurate and consistent for $190 price tag.  Just giving you options.  Some people have mixed reviews about the owner, but I believe he sells a whole lotta barrel for a very fair price.

AR15Performance, they are out of EVERYTHING!!! I'm not sure I will begin collecting parts yet but that looks like a good place to look again, next month maybe.

On the other hand Rainier indicates that the select MEDCON is in stock, 16" & 18" $225.00. imschur, yes I am apprehensive about this one too. Maybe I should do a chrome lined for SHTF, just in case  <dontknow>

Still, all I have is a Mega lower. Anyone know where a good upper receiver is? Preferably Mega or ?

You won't regret buying the select or any *See Site News* barrel.  Just know that you are buying an accurate barrel and not a match grade pipe.  Keep expectations reasonable.

I don't have an issue with SS barrels in a SHTF scenario.  If the situation is so bad that  i am shooting these barrels out, then I will grab another gun off the "thing" that was shooting at me.

AR15performance joined this sight and acted inappropriately. He was one of the few and I mean very few folks (maybe 3) to get banned from here. He was not respectful to forum members and potential customers. We deleted a lot of the dialog but I let some stay. Very unprofessional conduct.

The Rainier Select barrels are built to Rainier specs for value performance. Some guys have fantastic results but your expectations need to be realistic.

I don't know all the history with this guy.  I had purchased the barrel when I was TDY in TN.  I found some of the Internet stuff after the fact hence the comment about mixed reviews.  All that being said, it is very good barrel.  I can't defend or accost the man since my experience with him was a one and done deal. Neither positive or negative....just a business transaction.  :)

You certainly cant complain about a good barrel.  Poor people skills does not necessarily equate to bad hardware. In fact I have no experience with his hardware. It's actually unfortunate because he was a niche not covered well here. It would have been great if he worked out. It's funny 2 of the folks banned from here are barrel manufacturers. Must be the fumes  <lmao>

Imschur,

Thanks.  See that was history I was unaware of.  Sorry for recommending a banned party.  Never claimed to be smart, guys. <dontknow>

No need to apologize. That's ancient history here. It's not like a setup a filter to automatically delete the very name like I did with a particular auction site and the OTHER barrel maker.  ;D

That sucks, I saw a .308 16" lightweight, 1lb 13oz 4150 CMV Melonite treated  5R rifling 11 twist. Too bad barrel making dude is a douche flush. Thanks for the heads up.

I know the select isn't Ultra Match. I'm just thinking value. On the other hand barrel is not where I want to skimp for a start. The .308 i went top shelf. I want to avoid going too crazy with this one. But barrel and handguard can hurt. I don't want to settle on a cheap trigger either. And the question everyone is asking lately, "Where does guy find a fkg BCG these days". Times are  :cookoo: