• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Anyone here have good writing skills?

imschur

Im trying to develop a template for reviews of firearms and associated hardware. Currently I write things as I speak often with very few words and straight to the point. I read  reviews at other sites and I think "man I wish I could write like that"

Any advice or reading suggestions welcome.

TIA

Write it as you speak it. Then, put it aside for a few days until you forget what you wrote exactly. Now read and rewrite it to sound like a formal conversation. Keep a thesaurus handy in case you are using the same word repeatedly. Have a friend read it over for you to double check your writing is clear and makes sense.

Write down what your objectives are with the piece, have a checklist of what you aim to accomplish with the article. Put that list in the order you want those points to be addressed, and then write your piece using your checklist to keep track of your points covered. Proofread your first draft, make corrections, proofread second draft and make final corrections, and put it out there for everyone to read. Also, Guill732's advice is golden.  <thumbsup>

Write down what your objectives are with the piece, have a checklist of what you aim to accomplish with the article. Put that list in the order you want those points to be addressed, and then write your piece using your checklist to keep track of your points covered. Proofread your first draft, make corrections, proofread second draft and make final corrections, and put it out there for everyone to read. Also, Guill732's advice is golden.  <thumbsup>

X2 ....you will also want to stay on topic when writing about each point covered and the " piece " you are writing about, and grammer is key. If you don't know how to use commas then let someone read it and help make corrections. I would be willing to help and I am sure there are others that would also be willing to help. Also I would say do not write how you speak. From expereance I have wrote how I speak and everyone who reads it are always like " you are a true redneck " and I just look at them and and ask what their point is. You have the best topics to write about because these things are your passion. Write something up and let us have a look.