• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hi my name is Ed

ecocks

Well, I picked up an FN AR a couple of months ago, set it aside and saved for my glass, bi-pod and rings. Got them yesterday (Cabella's).

So, now I am the proud owner of an evil-looking, all-black, heavy AR.

FN-AR .308 w/ Hvy. fluted barrel

Nikon Monarch 2.5-20 w/ BDC reticule (1)

Harris Bi-pod (S Series, Model L)

(1) Really wanted the Trijicon with the amber light in the crosshairs but the budget just wouldn't quite take it. Will use the Nikon for now and swap it to my next hunting rifle when I can get the Trij or something similar.

I wanted a "no excuses", mid-range tactical rifle that would let me discover what I could do out to 600 yards or so and think I have that built now.

I'll try to post a pic in the next day or so.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to going to school here. Please tell me when I'm hopelessly screwed up by over-thinking my decisions or believing the propaganda out there.

Hi Ed

Thanks for joining.

The FNAR is not really an AR variant. It's based on the Browning BAR rather than a Stoner AR design.

The FN AR is an awesome accurate weapon none the less.

Dont recall if any other user's here have mentioned owning an FNAR. We will see.  <thumbsup>

Additionally a friend of mine Therm, runs FN Forum here.

Now that being said, hang out, look around and make yourself at home. Warning though, hanging out here is bad for a budget  ;D You might find the FN needs a sibling

:-[

Yes, I know it's not "quite" an AR in the normal sense of the word. That was why I was hoping to make it clear I saw it as a "heavy AR". Certainly don't want to offend anyone so maybe it should be more like the Heavy Battle Rifle instead

This weekend I was looking at the lighter AR's from Bushmaster and DPMS. The 5.56 models don't really interest me and I prefer to stay with the .308's which I'm hoping to learn more about here.

How is the quality on the DPMS Panther 7.62? It seemed [to me] to be a solid weapon and the price tag of $1,049 sans sights seemed to offer a good base to get started with a configuration. I also saw the 24" barrel but it just seemed unwieldy as an AR.

:-[

Yes, I know it's not "quite" an AR in the normal sense of the word. That was why I was hoping to make it clear I saw it as a "heavy AR". Certainly don't want to offend anyone so maybe it should be more like the Heavy Battle Rifle instead

This weekend I was looking at the lighter AR's from Bushmaster and DPMS. The 5.56 models don't really interest me and I prefer to stay with the .308's which I'm hoping to learn more about here.

How is the quality on the DPMS Panther 7.62? It seemed [to me] to be a solid weapon and the price tag of $1,049 sans sights seemed to offer a good base to get started with a configuration. I also saw the 24" barrel but it just seemed unwieldy as an AR.

Most of us like the DPMS and that is a good price. That 24" barrel is heavy and long for sure. If I recall my 24" with a Magpul PRS weighs in at like 15 pounds or somewhere there about

Hmmm, and of course Cabela's is dropping the price to $999 on the Bushmaster M4 7.62 AND that DPMS .308 (Oracle model) this Thursday.

Also $50 off a lot of the Nikon scopes w/BDC's. Sigh, like the one I bought on Saturday for $399....

Might pick up a 2-8 X 32 for $249 though. I know there's a gun somewhere that could use it.

• 9 years later...

Picture of my LR308 Oracle after I changed the scope mounts to a lower mount.  I raised my Site -N-Clean with a couple of 4x4 blocks in order to get the muzzle above the window sill  so that I can use the cartridge style laser to bore sight the new mounting job.

82782537_10206492689232764_4598917699131

The neighbors GMC tail lights are a good reflector for the Laser at 50 Yards

BTW the set of Green Blob Outdoors Iron Sights Match Grade Model 4/15 Rear & High Profile Front Sight Gas Block, DPMS Oracle  are the only ones I have found that work right on the LR308 Oracle (GenI) at Amazon.com

Edited by mrmackc

The pickup was parked forward from me at a slight angle, just enough to use the right side red reflector, the laser showed up nice and bright even in bright sunlight. I have found that any reflective material extends the range of visibility of a laser. I think a taillight reflector is made to reflect a wide lateral area, SAFETY FIRST, you know.

I have a Crimson Trace set of green grips on my 1911 Govt. model 45 ACP and a red laser on my Ruger .380 that led me to seek out a reflective spot. Kind of like seeking out a available WI FI hot spot.

Edited by mrmackc

I did a search for DPMS Oracle and saw this thread, I really didn't want to start a new thread, Okay?

I did have a problem posting a picture so first I posted it on the FB page and then linked to that page. I wish that there was a way to post a picture here without having to use a URL.  I don't know how to upload an image directly from a windows 10 file. Maybe someone will PM me how to do that, hint, hint.....

When I tried to copy and paste I got this rude message! LOL

Ala:  You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Edited by mrmackc