• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Badger Ordnance - Dead Level Scope Leveling Device

Seems like a lot of money unless you were selling scopes, pre-mounted in the rings. 

The method described below was what I was taught over 30 years ago by an old time smith:

While holding the rifle by the barrel in the vise, Use a precision machinist level to level the rifle by the Picatinny rail (or lug raceways),  then level the scope by the elevation adjustment knob. Have never had anyone complain of scopes being "canted", plus the level can be used for a multitude of tasks around the shop.

Just my 2¢

About the same way I do it 2 small line levels.Rifle on bi-pod level on rail throw a shim to level rifle [table is not level].Take off scope caps level on top set in and out start snuging hardware watching levels.Noticed before when snugging screws would have tendency to roll scope a little.

About the same way I do it 2 small line levels.Rifle on bi-pod level on rail throw a shim to level rifle [table is not level].Take off scope caps level on top set in and out start snuging hardware watching levels.Noticed before when snugging screws would have tendency to roll scope a little.

You can avoid rolling the scope by using either 2 screwdrivers or Allen wrenches simultaneously. Also, a drop (and I mean a drop) of red loctite on the bottom of the ring secures the scope solid, even from the recoil of the biggest and sharpest kicking magnums.

Last night I used the levels that came with the wheeler engineering kit. Pretty low quality bubbles, and I wouldn't recommend them off of just this one use. They have one that sets up across the raceway and a little guy to throw on the scope. Got he gun leveled up(according to their bubble anyways) and threw the little guy on top of the scope....

Brief time out for back story. So, I'm a surveyor. One of the things we constantly deal with are inspectors showing up with their short digital smart levels and slapping them down on the concrete. "2.2%, tear it out."  When you have a 2% max slope for the concrete, these guys trust this digital level a little too much. I usually ask when the last time they had it calibrated was. Most don't know and more than one has tried to tell me there is no need as they come perfect from the manufacturer. BS by the way. My second action is to take their level, turn it 180 degrees and set it back down in the same spot. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten a completely different reading this way. "Hmm, 1.8% now. I guess we can take the average and call or 2%. Guess your level needs to be calibrated."

...back to the scope. I can't flip the level on the gun, but I turn the top one and wouldn't you know...slopes to the opposite side from what it was reading before. I averaged it out and it should be fine, but don't just trust a bubble to be true out of the box. We perform check on our equipment constantly because a lot of my work depends on instruments being as perfectly level as humanly possible.  <thumbsup>

DNP that's funny!

My F-I-L was maintanence at a large assisted living facility.  They got in twenty or so framed prints, which were to be hung in the hallway.  He borrowed a level from the guy next door (sister facility) as he had taken his home.

After hanging all the frames with this other guy's level, a nurse came down the hall and said "All your paintings are crooked!"  He argued it, showed her with the level.  She said "I don't care what your little bubble says, those paintings aren't straight."

So he told the guy about the conversation when he returned the level.  Dude says something like "Yeah, it's adjustable.  Look here," then showed him he had used it for some sort of slope at a few degrees.

Good stuff.

Jon