• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First time shooting, FTF all day.

Powerman

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Throughout all this, I think it was your original extractor.  I keep meaning to come back to this thread, grab the pertinent posts, and talk about it.  I always run out of time.

I've never seen an extractor without a cutout for the rim - but your original one didn't have a cutout for the rim.  That thing was actually angled UP where the cutout should have been.  That "improved" extractor had the same cutout that every other one has.  I wouldn't call that "improved" if it's a necessary part of a functioning rifle.  I think they only changed the lug on top so they could tell the difference between a jacked up one, and a recent-production one.

I'll grab pics one of these days and point out what I'm talking about. 

I think your original extractor was junk, and they missed a machining step.  Doesn't matter what company it was from.  My $0.02.

Pics of that extractor earlier in this long thread would have helped identify that, but we didn't know that then.  <dontknow>

Throughout all this, I think it was your original extractor.  I keep meaning to come back to this thread, grab the pertinent posts, and talk about it.  I always run out of time.

I've never seen an extractor without a cutout for the rim - but your original one didn't have a cutout for the rim.  That thing was actually angled UP where the cutout should have been.  That "improved" extractor had the same cutout that every other one has.  I wouldn't call that "improved" if it's a necessary part of a functioning rifle.  I think they only changed the lug on top so they could tell the difference between a jacked up one, and a recent-production one.

I'll grab pics one of these days and point out what I'm talking about. 

I think your original extractor was junk, and they missed a machining step.  Doesn't matter what company it was from.  My $0.02.

Pics of that extractor earlier in this long thread would have helped identify that, but we didn't know that then.  <dontknow>

Thanks 98. And originally I did not help because it was short stroking and I did not know what a failure to eject was. So I think I did not explain the actual problem in the beginning accurately.

You will have to give me a pic, because I can't quite see what you are saying. When I compare the two, the cut out for the old extractor seems adequate compared to the new one... but ya, I do not have enough experience to say what is right or wrong.

Not your fault, brother, not in the least.  It was just after you received that improved extractor that pics of "old and new" were posted, side by side.  It was only after you posted those pics (recently) that I saw that, and I thought that first extractor looked wrong - meaning, I've never seen an extractor that didn't have a cutout, but that pic you posted sure didn't. 

That damn thing had a "rise" to it, like they forgot a machining step on it. 

Didn't have anything to do with what you originally described in this thread - because it's not something that you'd normally think about. 

Did you post that in a different thread?  I can't find the pic of the two of them in this thread, now... 

EDIT - Found it - here it is... It was in this thread:

DSCN0433_zps96b82464.jpg

See that in the top extractor?  That's a BIG difference in the normal machining, unless the camera is playing tricks on me in that pic.  That looks like they completely missed machining the groove for the rim...  That was old versus new, in your pic.

Edited by 98Z5V

Darn, the wife took the camera. I will get pics later.

The old extractor is a little deceiving. The cut is there, and it is square. It grips on a empty case. Just at the edges there is that angle piece that makes it look... angled. I filed one side off and will show you later. But that very edge does not contact the case.... meaning it does not prevent the case rim from sinking into the cut. The claw does fit to the neck of the case, and grabs the full width of the rim face.

Never the less... it didn't work before, but now it does. So there you go. :))

That's exactly what I am thinking.... but I think I will just start with the upper for now. :)

Powerman lookie what I found you.....very hard to come by these days......DPMS upper receiver they have em stripped too jump on it

http://www.buckeyetactical.com/dpms-upper-receiver-assembled-lr-308-a3-ar-15-10-flat-top-matte.html

:) Wash

Edited by washguy