• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

First time shooting, FTF all day.

Powerman

Brand new range opened up... totally awesome, largest in Colorado. Completely up tight and out of sight. In the 50s with light wind... well that turned into stiff wind... 20-25mph.

My rifle was all lubed up for it's break in. I had not had a chance to put a rod down it and wanted to before shooting... Took out the BCG and it promptly got coated with sand. ERRRR. Got it cleaned up.

So it got progressively worse. Put about 60 rounds down range. Would not cycle far enough to catch the bolt catch, sort of pick up a shell, sort of not. I used a steel mag, but then switched to a Pmag at the first sign of trouble. Both brand new. I could cycle it and it felt smooth and free, but it was pretty frustrating by the end of the day and the wind really sucked.

My oly goal was to get my rifle broke in, so mission accomplished. I'm going to strip it down and get it all cleaned up. I do not know if sand had anything to do with it.

I have a 7 5/8 tube. with a Armalite spring, and Armalite H3 buffer. What is my next move?

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not an expert with these rifles so take that into account here.

But the first thing I would do is start checking at the gas block and work your way back to the buffer and spring.

Check the gas block for looseness and aliment and leaks & does it have an adjustable gas block may need opened up some.

Check gas tube for blockage and kinks

Check gas key for looseness

Check bolt & carrier passages for blockage

Check stagger in the gas rings 

If you can pull the charging handle back with an empty mag will the bolt lock back and does it stay locked back when you drop the mag? If all this checks out I would say oil the snockers (dripping wet) out of it until its broke in just might be to tight.

For whats its worth thats what I would do I'm sure one of the guru's will be along to help before you know it this is a great site.

Thanks. I have no AR experience so that hurts. I have some gas coming out of the block in front and at the tube, but I don't know if it is normal. I have one piece rings so that isn't it. I will have to take a better look when I get home. The gas block was real tight going on and it is straight. I was shooting American Eagle 150 ammo.

Thanks. I have no AR experience so that hurts. I have some gas coming out of the block in front and at the tube, but I don't know if it is normal.

NO, NOT NORMAL! With out knowing or hearing anything else, I would absolutely address this! Sounds as though your gas block isn't properly lined up. Start there, then go back to the range.

I'll get pics when I get home. Fulton heavy barrel with dpms low profile rail gas block. Rifle length gas system. There is some black carbon/oil coming out a little bit in front of the block on the SS barrel. . The gas tube coming out of the gas block seems to have some residue on it. I did not notice any shooting, but it was real windy. Roads

Correct buffer?  Anything "H3" is a 5.56 buffer.

Slash says this

The ArmaLite AR10 carbine buffer is actually an AR15 H3 buffer and can only be used with an extended length buffer tube (ArmaLite/Vltor).

The DPMS buffer is an H3 buffer with 3/4" cut off and one less Tungsten weight.  It weighs about the same a .223 carbine buffer and is too light for a .308 in my opinion.  Many DPMS owners turn to me when their factory .308 carbines start breaking parts.

Right, got that - the Armalite AR-10 Carbine buffer is the same length as any regular old AR-15 carbine buffer - because Armalite uses a 7 5/8" (internal) length on their AR-10 carbine receiver extension.  AR-15 receiver extensions are 7" (internal) length.  So, to run the same length buffer in both, the 308 receiver extension has to be longer than the AR-15 receiver extension.

Didn't know the AR-15 H3 weight was the same as the regular AR-10 weight.      <thumbsup>

Also, anyone using an AR-15 carbine receiver extension on their 308 AR - you can't run the Armalite AR-10 carbine buffer - it'll be too long for that extension.  Your options are DPMS 308 carbine buffer, or Slash.

I also understand that buffer can cause problems... but my tube.spring/and buffer were lubed up good. I had no problem chambering a round with the charging handle. Charged just fine....

By the end of the day, I was not even chambering a round on the cycle. I had to chamber a round with the handle. At the beginning of the day, rounds would sometimes chamber, sometimes jam, sometimes not close. But I could always charge a round.

To make sure... what is the compressed length of the spring/buffer? How far past the bolt catch can you guys pull your BCG back?

Are you getting any stovepipes on failure to eject?  How did you establish the point to set the gas block?  If it is too far back you may be banging the rear of your gas tube on the gas key.  Check and see if it is getting bunged up.  If it is too far forward you may not be getting enough gas into the tube or the gas may be getting around the edge of the gas key and not giving you enough pressure to consistently cycle.

I had a GS install my barrel. I just didn't have the tools. I went to put my gas block on and it was pretty tight... so I just took it down and had him do it all so he could align it with the receiver. Well, it looked fine, but when I got home the block was really off... I mean like 10:00 off. I was pretty amazed... so I thought I must have bumped it... but I checked and the screws were tight... so then I went to straighten it out, and it took some rubber and hammer... it was tight. No way it just got "bumped". Well I was still dumb founded he could let it go out like that. I also noticed there is no space and the block butts up to the shoulder.... buy the bolt goes into battery just fine. So that is the history.

Looking at that BCG it is like a desert to dry clean it all up and get yourself some Mobile one synthetic oil and apply it to everything with your fingers if it drips it is fine. Make sure the upper is clean and lubed on the rails no grease just the mobile oil. and like the others have said check your gas block but my guess it is ok if you were having no FTF or FTE...