• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Geissele trigger issues.

I just purchased a barely used LR308 classic that had 40 rounds down the tube.  I put a Vortex Viper PST EBR1 MRAD on it, and a Geissele trigger.  It came with the chrome bolt carrier.

20130129_164414_zps291dbf64.jpg

The wepaon worked great with the stock DPMS trigger group in it.  However, after I installed the Geissele, the bolt had a great bit of resistance and woul not release forward unless you beat the buttstock on the ground, or barely squeezed the trigger...then it would snap closed like it should.

I called Geissele, and they were baffled.  They had never heard of a problem like this before, and it did not make mechanical sense (which I was in agreement with them on that) that it would release with a trigger pull. They were more than happy to take care of me, and asked that I ate least send the trigger back, and they preferred the lower so they could install and test it.  Top notch guys and gals there.

I ended up putting some JB Bore paste on the bottom of the bolt carrier where it engages the hammer and worked it a bit.  I got it to "wear in" and function correctly.  I believe that I may use a buffer wheel and a little more JB and take a minute bit of material off.

What I think is happening is that the chrome bolt carrier group is a little out of spec and putting pressure on the hammer.  I re-contacted Geissele about my discovery, and they were happy to hear it.

BTW, the Geissele feels as good as my Timneys on my bolt guns.  I highly recommend them for the AR platform.  <thumbsup>

Check to see if the hammer is being stopped  by the disconnect , it is an easy job to stone or file the disconnect than the hammer . Less expensive part also.

You may see marks on the top of the disconnect also & that will tell you its interfering with the hammer .

also look for any thing that might be under the disconnect & trigger. Geissele makes a good product & his wife's line of trigger systems are also a winner .

Check to see if the hammer is being stopped  by the disconnect , it is an easy job to stone or file the disconnect than the hammer . Less expensive part also.

You may see marks on the top of the disconnect also & that will tell you its interfering with the hammer .

also look for any thing that might be under the disconnect & trigger. Geissele makes a good product & his wife's line of trigger systems are also a winner .

Yes, they seem to be great people on the phone.  I will check that out today, and the action is not binding since I took JB and polished the contact area.

Which Geissele trigger did you install?

The G2S.

I believe the problem might be how the upper and lower receivers fit. When the BCG moves to the rear the hammer is pushed down to re-set it. When this happens the hammer can't go down any further causing the BCG to very tight. Just not enough space between the hammer and the BCG being pushed up against the top of the upper receiver. Machining the bottom of the BCG is one way to fix it. Or looking at the hammer and provide a little more relief for the hammer to go further down. When pulling the action to the rear by the handle do you feel it get very tight feeling. One should not feel the hammer re setting at all. I had this same problem, if I put one upper on a different lower it would bind up. If the upper was on the original lower no issues. The other upper didn't care which lower it was attached to. If you talk to the trigger expert, they might tell you how to relieve the hammer to allow it go a little further down when the BCG goes over the hammer. Taking to much off the bottom of the BCG might not push the hammer down far enough. Hope this helps.