• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Building my JD machine Tech .308

415shooter

Hey All,

I'm slowly building my JD Machine Tech 308, and I need some advice.  I want to run a Vltor stock(easiest cheekweld for me) but I'm concerned that if I use a 18" barrel that I won't be able too.  All of the 18" barrels I'm looking at are mid-length.  Will that be a problem?

Not quite sure why the gas port length will have anything to do with stock cheek weld, could you explain your concern more please?

Who ever told you that is full of it, for real.  :cookoo: It seems you want to go with a carbine style set up, with the Vltor stock, you just need to get the right components for that.

Here you go, Clint is a great guy with the best! buffers!

http://heavybuffers.com/ar10carbine.html

I believe he has tubes and springs too, one stop shop. I run his buffers in all my rifles, flawless function, great recoil reduction.

Who ever told you that is full of it, for real.  :cookoo: It seems you want to go with a carbine style set up, with the Vltor stock, you just need to get the right components for that.

Here you go, Clint is a great guy with the best! buffers!

http://heavybuffers.com/ar10carbine.html

I believe he has tubes and springs too, one stop shop. I run his buffers in all my rifles, flawless function, great recoil reduction.

+1 on his buffers. I wouldn't use anything else.

• 1 month later...

So I'm trying to find a handguard that will work with my JD upper.  I know that DPMS has 2 heights.  Does anyone know which 1 JD is?  I'm looking at a Black Rain Ordinance handguard.  I'm willing to go with others, I just don't want to have a beast that I can't shoot without a bench.

I've been told that I always need to match the gas length and the buffer length is why I'm concerned.

I'm a little late to this game, but just for reinforcement...  THAT is bullpoopy....  Complete bullpoopy.

That's not necesarily for you, OP, at this point, but it's more for anyone else that searches out this thread, looking for an answer.

That's COMPLETE bullpoopy.

• 4 months later...

You most likely do NOT have the high rise height, so almost all of the rails you look at will be ok.

JD Machine uses the older high profile on their 308 uppers. You can tell by measuring the tab that hangs over the charging handle. 1/8th is the newer DPMS low profile. 3/16ths is the older DPMS higher profile , which is what JD uses. it is confusing trying to find a hand rail that will fit. Centurion, Troy, Rainier arms,& Daniel Defense are some that still have those that will match the JD upper. If there are more feel free to list them. DO NOT CONFUSE THE HIGHER PROFILE WITH DPMS LR308 AND SPORTICAL HIGH PROFILE. These upper receivers are way higher than the older high profile and will not match any hand guard unless you buy it directly from DPMS....i did and now i have an expensive paperweight until i can find someone that needs one.http://www.dpmsinc.com/308-WIN-762-NATO-16-18_ep_190-1.html