• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Tula 762 NATO berdan primers

EasyEJL

You found berdan primers?

If you look down in your case, there will be two holes that are symetrically off center.

Any case that is brass should accept the berdan.

Check the other threads on here, there is a video posted of a dude that came up with a way to remove the berdan primers without needing the $70 RCBS tool.

Jon

I've sometimes wounder if you can take an anvil from a spent boxer primer then put it in the berdan primer then seat it in a boxer case and use like normal. So is me nuts or plausible. :cookoo:  

The vid Jon is talking about, that's posted, is exactly that.  The guy used a die, water-filled cases, and hydrostatically BLOWS the berdan primers right out.  Reloads with normal boxer primers.

The vid Jon is talking about, that's posted, is exactly that.  The guy used a die, water-filled cases, and hydrostatically BLOWS the berdan primers right out.  Reloads with normal boxer primers.

Yup.

And I don't recall it in that video but I've had old timers tell me the size is just a tiny bit off.  The berdan may stay put or it may want to wiggle out.

Some stated they just put clear fingernail polish on it and the primer stays until you reload the brass again.

Jon

I think your close to my thinking but not quite their. I'm talking about using boxer cases so you don't have to mess with the berdan case at all. Lets say after you deprime and size your Winchester .308 case you take the used anvil out of the spent Winchester primer put it in the berdan primer and seat it in your Winchester case. Think this would work or are you going to detonate the primer during the seating process?  

seasprite - that opposite of what I was thinking - using the berdan-primed (spent) brass, decapping it so you can reload it (running boxer primers).

Not sure about the other way - unless that stuff above would work.

In the 1950's my dad had a part time job as a gunsmith.  In the 60's my younger brother and I found a couple of Italian Carcanos that he had stuck away.

We had a limited amount of factory ammo, and imagine our suprise when we went to reload them and found berdan primers!!!

Well, we took an ice pick, and pried the old primers out, and with a electric hand drill, drilled out the post from the cases, forming a flash hole,  while getting rid of the berdan post.   Then we used a Lyman primer pocket reamer to remove the crimp, and open the primer pocket to "standard" dia and depth  as the berdan primers were slightly smaller than the regular primers.

Loaded those suckers up I don't know how many times!!!LOL!!!!

Of course, we held the cases in our hands while doing all this to them.LOL!!   I'd do it a little differently, now!

Respectfully

Terry

Oh, seasprite...so berdan primer in a regular boxer case with an anvil from a used boxer primer.

Hhmmm...

Have you seen this?

Jon

Defiantly filed under if they restrict ammo to us common folk to keep the freedom sticks running. One thing you can count on though that mix is probably corrosive and I would treat it as such by washing the bore with soap and water after use. <thumbsup>  

seasprite - that opposite of what I was thinking - using the berdan-primed (spent) brass, decapping it so you can reload it (running boxer primers).

Not sure about the other way - unless that stuff above would work.

Your thinking along my lines now 98 <thumbsup>​ I would like to get a few berdan primers and try and see if it would work maybe EasyEJL will do a little test for us if he orders some.  defiantly would have to have eye protection for the seating process though. 

I wonder if the flash hole on boxer-style brass would provide enough of a crushing surface without an anvil at all, in a berdan primer.

Jon

I think your going to need some type of anvil for the priming compound to compress against but I don't even know what the difference is between the two different cups and the amount of fill in the cups. 

In the 1950's my dad had a part time job as a gunsmith.  In the 60's my younger brother and I found a couple of Italian Carcanos that he had stuck away.

We had a limited amount of factory ammo, and imagine our suprise when we went to reload them and found berdan primers!!!

Well, we took an ice pick, and pried the old primers out, and with a electric hand drill, drilled out the post from the cases, forming a flash hole,  while getting rid of the berdan post.   Then we used a Lyman primer pocket reamer to remove the crimp, and open the primer pocket to "standard" dia and depth  as the berdan primers were slightly smaller than the regular primers.

Loaded those suckers up I don't know how many times!!!LOL!!!!

Of course, we held the cases in our hands while doing all this to them.LOL!!   I'd do it a little differently, now!

Respectfully

Terry

And this could put an end to my thinking right here if there smaller cup size than the boxer.

Someone else was ordering, someone else is asking questions...  this topic has gone so sideways, we'll never keep up... 

Smaller Berdans, to the larger boxers - large rifle or small rifle - ream the cases to accept the boxers.  Primer pocket reamers are gonna be those two sizes.  I don't even know where we're going here, anymore...  <dontknow>

Someone else was ordering, someone else is asking questions...  this topic has gone so sideways, we'll never keep up... 

Smaller Berdans, to the larger boxers - large rifle or small rifle - ream the cases to accept the boxers.  Primer pocket reamers are gonna be those two sizes.  I don't even know where we're going here, anymore...  <dontknow>

oops see what happens when I start thinking everything gets screwed up :stfu2:  :threadjack: