• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Apex Hand Guard System on LAR 8?

SRT1911

The Rainier site lists Armalite and DPMS versions. Has anyone used this rail on the LAR 8?

I have a 20" Standard A4 and if the Apex will fit my barrel nut I could just cut the delta ring off. There's a Midwest Industries Gen 2 SS rail en route to me but it requires you to use their barrel nut. The Apex appears to have a sturdier mounting solution. Also, the Apex is available in a 15" version while the SS-Series only comes in 12". That will leave about a .75 inch gap between the rail and gas block.

Thanks in advance for any feedback y'all can offer.

Kaleb

Thanks Robo but I'm unable to get that dimension. Using both hands to hold the d-ring back left me one short to run the caliper :) . The nut has what appears to be standard AR15 dimensioned teeth at the front but there's a step up with a second set of larger diameter teeth about .25 inches behind it.

Jon, I thought the threads were like the AR10. Do you know if the external dimensions are similar? (Does it have the funky second set of splines as described above?)

The Apex has a two piece clam shell type attachment that bolts around the existing nut and if the Rock River nut is externally similar to the Armalite I think it will work.

If the LAR-8 is threaded like the AR-10, you just need to know if the LAR-8 uses the same barrel nut for the delta ring assembly.

If it does, then you have everything you need. Just order the AR10 APEX.

If the barrel nut is different, since it already has the correct threads, you just need to order an AR10 simple barrel nut. It's about a $15 part.

Ps. +1 on the Apex decision. I have the 12.5" on my .308 now. It's solid as a tank. I'm putting the 15" on a new build soon.