• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

School me on night vision

Madhouse

Todd, hunt for a Gen 3 system, at the minimum.  Gen 2 works okay, well, it works good, but the differences in the Gen 3 systems is pretty immense. 

Honestly, I'd base the PVS-14 varients as a minimum to try to get.  Depends on your use, but they're most effective mounted behind a red dot, when weapon-mounted. You'll be looking at a PVS-22 type setup, to mount it in front of the scope.  They're not inexpensive, by any means, no matter which way you go.

I've been looking into the PVS-22 I think I will go with this one if I have some extra cash this fall. Think I'm going to have to put a longer rail on my guns with a big scope and rifle length rail not much room at the end of rail.

http://www.nightvisionplanet.com/night-vision-day-night-systems/atn-ps22-day-night-system-3rd-gen.html

Save yourself some money and get the ps-22 instead of a Pvs-22. Has all the same features but you save $1000+. Also, try and get an autogated tube. An autogated tube will save your tube incase you accidentally shine a light directly into the NVD.

PVS-14's I believe are limited to .223 when mounted directly to a firearm. If you mount a thin-filmed Pvs-14 to any caliber larger than .223 you risk damaging the tube. I've seen a mount system that mounts the NVD to the ocular of a scope instead of the 1913 rail of a firearm but have no experience with them.

You should also take a look at IR lights to really take advantage of NV. A good IR flashlight is good for close range, but anything past 50-75yards you'll want to take a look at peq's or Dbal's.

Most importantly make sure that with any NVD it comes with a data sheet!

Edited by Goofball310

Used to mount the PVS-14s on everything.  We ran them as a monocular on a head-rig, rifle mounted, on the 240s, anything we could have the unit armorers mount a piece of pic rail to and still get a good sighting setup.  Those were the military issued PVS-14s, not the cheaper versions.

Which brings up a great point.  There's lots of companies that make a "PVS-14," and you'll see alot of different prices.  The really expensive ones are the real deal, there are only a small/few companies that make them, and will hold up to anything you can throw at them, or mount them to. 

Used to mount the PVS-14s on everything.  We ran them as a monocular on a head-rig, rifle mounted, on the 240s, anything we could have the unit armorers mount a piece of pic rail to and still get a good sighting setup.  Those were the military issued PVS-14s, not the cheaper versions.

Which brings up a great point.  There's lots of companies that make a "PVS-14," and you'll see alot of different prices.  The really expensive ones are the real deal, there are only a small/few companies that make them, and will hold up to anything you can throw at them, or mount them to.

I miss the 14s, what a great tool. I'd love to have one again but would have very little use for it anymore.

Good luck in whatever you choose, Madhouse

I miss the 14s, what a great tool. I'd love to have one again but would have very little use for it anymore.

Caveat - in your current profession...  you'd have little use for it. 

It would still work wonders, if you were clearing your house or property.  Or killing piggies, or hunting, etc.

It hasn't been eclipsed by technology, by any means, and it still a very, very effective tool.  <thumbsup>

Caveat - in your current profession...  you'd have little use for it. 

It would still work wonders, if you were clearing your house or property.  Or killing piggies, or hunting, etc.

It hasn't been eclipsed by technology, by any means, and it still a very, very effective tool.  <thumbsup>

I just remember the jump going to that from the PVS-7B. It was a big improvement IMO, but both are great. If I needed to hunt pigs or whatever else than I would definately feel a compulsion to buy buy buy. Most homes in my area are w/i 500 ft of one another so firing firearms is a no go anyways. I'd have to go elsewhere to hunt and haven't gotten into the sport as of yet.