• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hornady Lock-N-Load Concentricity Gauge

imschur

Back in another lifetime I did a lot of reloading. I was obsessed with squeezing out the best accuracy from Remington 700 Varmint in 22-250. I was always making tools or buying anything that would improve my reloads. One of the items my machinist also a shooter and I were working on was tools for round concentricity.  Anyhow I spotted the Hornady Lock-N-Load Concentricity Gauge and I was wondering if any of you guys are this OCD and use this tool or something similar.

I miss reloading. I enjoyed it almost as much as shooting

Personally, I don't go any further than messing with powder/bullet combinations.  I've yet to be stumped with this method for finding the "Sweet Load" for a given firearm.

A friend who used to reload with micrometer dies, concentricity guages, measured to the lands, sorted brass based on any number of qualifiers, sorted bullets the same way (from the same batch), he once told me "I use to do all that and pull my hair out chasing which variable I thought caused the problem...then I realized I am the biggest variable on any given day.  So now I just shoot."

That advice hasn't failed me yet.

Jon

Personally, I don't go any further than messing with powder/bullet combinations.  I've yet to be stumped with this method for finding the "Sweet Load" for a given firearm.

A friend who used to reload with micrometer dies, concentricity guages, measured to the lands, sorted brass based on any number of qualifiers, sorted bullets the same way (from the same batch), he once told me "I use to do all that and pull my hair out chasing which variable I thought caused the problem...then I realized I am the biggest variable on any given day.  So now I just shoot."

That advice hasn't failed me yet.

Jon

I feel the same way & have looked at that tool , but never went farther than that.

The only anal thing I do is weigh my brass & sort it that way. Don't care what the stamp reads , if its in a weight category , that's where it goes.

I don't bother for Semi Auto, but maybe if I was loading for a bolt gun I would.

This.. I might too if I had a bolt gun. I want to have a tacticool bolt action but we'll see.

My brass doesn't last long either. I tend to load on the fastest node I can find around max charge and ill get 4 loads max before too loose primer pockets. I think if I did long range competition then I might go the distance with all the tricks but naw, I don't need another pain in the ass step right now.

I think I am the weak link too. So more shooting will help me the most. I am moving onto property where I can shoot 2/300 yards anytime I want, as long as the cows aren't in the way, if so ill be selling steaks.

I do use the best dies for .308. Mine are Forster, Redding or Forster probably best sizing & and seating.

Since I am moving I am loosing most all the stuff for reloading. Will need new press and periferals, everything except those dies and for .308 only trimmer. I'll get new 550B Dillon, Dillon beam scale, I do charge all .308 loads by hand. Need new Thumler's tumbler for SS media brass tumbling. I own the media.

I will have to spend up to $700 or more to be able to reload again.

Gonna build me a covered shootin station outside too... I think, because I have those tools and plywood and roofing materials already.

This.. I might too if I had a bolt gun. I want to have a tacticool bolt action but we'll see.

My brass doesn't last long either. I tend to load on the fastest node I can find around max charge and ill get 4 loads max before too loose primer pockets. I think if I did long range competition then I might go the distance with all the tricks but naw, I don't need another pain in the ass step right now.

I think I am the weak link too. So more shooting will help me the most. I am moving onto property where I can shoot 2/300 yards anytime I want, as long as the cows aren't in the way, if so ill be selling steaks.

I do use the best dies for .308. Mine are Forster, Redding or Forster probably best sizing & and seating.

Since I am moving I am loosing most all the stuff for reloading. Will need new press and periferals, everything except those dies and for .308 only trimmer. I'll get new 550B Dillon, Dillon beam scale, I do charge all .308 loads by hand. Need new Thumler's tumbler for SS media brass tumbling. I own the media.

I will have to spend up to $700 or more to be able to reload again.

Gonna build me a covered shootin station outside too... I think, because I have those tools and plywood and roofing materials already.

It will be awesome if you can crank out a few rounds, shoot them, adjust, crank out a few more and test them.  :)  I can only dream.

It will be awesome if you can crank out a few rounds, shoot them, adjust, crank out a few more and test them.  :)  I can only dream.

Yes, I'll be looking forward to that for sure. Going to range and coming home to redo was a slow and pain in the arse proposition. Plus I never cleaned guns at range after sessions. I would be smart to do so right away after shooting at home.