• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Muzzle devices for LR 308

Friends,

I have a couple questions about what muzzle device to get for my LR 308.

First, some background. Mine came with a factory flash hider, held on by 5/8" x 24 tpi threads and a crush washer. I'm not a big fan of recoil, which is something I learned to dislike quite a bit whilst hunting with a Mossberg 590 pump shotgun and 1-ounce slugs.

So I got a Bennie Cooley oversize compensator from JP Enterprises. It worked exactly as advertised, as far as reducing reoil by more than half. Also, the concussion almost took my head off, and my ears were still ringing a day later. So, I will be selling the compensator to someone who shoots with earmuffs/plugs.

When I go hunting, my ears go naked. So the question is, what to put on the muzzle for noise.

A linear compensator like this comes highly recommended:

post-13893-0-87198300-1371737790_thumb.j

The theory is, that this muzzle device works by sending the muzzle blast forward. However, some people say that it also *in*creases recoil. The notion is that by pusing the noise forward, it also pushes back against your shoulder.

But there's also flash hiders, including something like this:

post-13893-0-79038000-1371737979_thumb.j

I have to wonder if a flash hider designed like this might make the muzzle blast more manageable by more slowly releasing the exploding gases through the holes in the side.

Now, I've heard that simply having the muzzle crowned can make a big difference with handling muzzle blast. Sort of like the linear compensator, working like a 'megaphone' pointing the blast away from the shooter. I can see the idea working, but I have to wonder if the result would really be noticeable. The LR 308 isn't crowned at the factory (or has a 'flat crown'), so that might be something I should do anyhow to enhance accuracy.

Does anyone have any range experience with muzzle devices like the ones I've mentioned, and any comments and advice to offer? Thanks!

I use  http://www.howardleight.com/ear-muffs/impact-sport   they work great except for the prone position,for me.And  http://battlecomp.com/  for 5.56 and .308 great product.Unless you run a supperssor you should use ear pro.My hearing is screwed up,the tinnitus is annoying as hell.Just my 2 mags.

Edited by unforgiven

What Rene said  ......unless you have a can theres no muzzle device that can protect your hearing....ive got all kinds....they all will ring your bell!  maybe get electronic earplugs that shut off the blast while still letting you hear everything  :))   Wash

Yeah , what Rene and Wash said. I would like to add that brakes are designed to reduce recoil and muzzle rise , the side effect is increased noise in the direction of the vents.

You may want to look at comps with small ports !

I have the linear comp in your first pic on a AR Pistol, its is loud if you are not behind the gun.

I have the second also but don't use it. , not effective. JMHO.

Mike

I am known as a battlecomp whore. I think it is the best comp on the market, and justifiably so! I own 5 of them in various sizes....

That said, I relate to your issue and if you are willing to spend the $$$$, there may be an option.

FIRST: Check out the AAC 51t Muzzle Brake. The one with two brake chambers. They run about $125-$150 depending on where you find it.

SECOND: Check out the "QD Brake Shield" sold at RainierArms.com I think they cost $75-$80

That will effectively turn your brake into something like a Noveske KX3 or PWS Diablo. Plus it'll look sweet and be 100% unique!!!

I am known as a battlecomp whore. I think it is the best comp on the market, and justifiably so! I own 5 of them in various sizes....

That said, I relate to your issue and if you are willing to spend the $$$$, there may be an option.

FIRST: Check out the AAC 51t Muzzle Brake. The one with two brake chambers. They run about $125-$150 depending on where you find it.

SECOND: Check out the "QD Brake Shield" sold at RainierArms.com I think they cost $75-$80

That will effectively turn your brake into something like a Noveske KX3 or PWS Diablo. Plus it'll look sweet and be 100% unique!!!

Battlecomp whore ! So your doing product endorsements.

Pri Quiet brake/comp... My favorite , got 3 of them.

While you-all have been cookin', I have been lookin' around.

Lots of people say the linear compensator is not kind to the shooter's ears, but just kind to the people next to the shooter. But they don't say, compared to what, and don't say, they have muffs on and the others don't.

Lots of people say the linear compensator increases recoil but reduces muzzle jump. Some people say the linear comp reduces recoil but that's just plain violating the laws of physics. You can't have compensation in both directions, sorry.

I found two YouTube videos which claim that the linear compensator did nothing at all that they could notice. Seems like they might be right. And there are a lot of people out there who say that after trying lots of stuff with naked ears, the best thing to put on your threaded barrel end is a thread protector.

Thing is, people who want to sell muzzle devices have some profits in mind, and they could make some good cash by doing real tests that show real results. Wouldn't take rocket surgeons to do this, either.

Maybe nobody has anything they can prove actually works, so they're just selling inflatable brassieres for rifles.

Edited by gnatshooter