• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Removable sights

Friends,

I'm once again imposing on your patience as a newbie who has what's likely a dumb question. The question is, What's the point of removable sights?

I have a new DPMS LR 308T, and even though it "went home" to the factory to fix a FTE, that doesn't stop me shopping for it. And one of the things this rifle needs is sights.

Maybe this sounds weird, but once I have sights on the rifle, I want them to stay on. And part of them staying on is not coming off very easily. So what's the point of a 'removable' or 'detachable' sight?

For the front sight on my DPMS, I got the JP Enterprises globe sight, which you can see at http://bit.ly/1ceM9JA

It's not a cheap unit, but I'm a massively huge fan -- maybe a pusher -- of Lyman globe sights. Once this thing is on my rifle, I don't want it coming off easily. In fact, I can't think of a good excuse for taking it off. And part of its 'removability' is that it's held on with only one screw. I'd rather have three screws, but you can't have everything.

Is Loctite on the threads good enough to keep this sight on? Or is there a way of 'pinning' something to a Picatinny rail?

Okay, so I guess that's two questions.

Edited by gnatshooter

He's saying its a feature that doesn't hurt...so why not? If you have a long rail...there's only one way for it to interface with a sights base. I suppose someone could make a permanent attachment point...but why bother when the screw will secure it and give you the option to adjust your setup. If it really bothers you...break out some epoxy or JB weld. Just hope you don't change your mind. I know I swap my rifle parts around like Legos.

I'm not following this very well.... What are permanent sights? I don't think I can even imagine what they'd look like on an AR format??? The closest I can imagine is an A2 FSGB, but knock out two taper pins and its removable too.

If you don't want detachable sights, get a gas block tower sight.