• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Nikon choice

Ok , I , yes me , have a dilemma . I can not choose between a Nikon , Monarch, 4x16x42 & a Nikon , Buckmaster , 6x18x40 . I know the price difference & some quality differences between the two , but that means nothing . 

I want the scope for mid range shooting, so talk me in to or out of one or the other.

The Monarch is mil dot & the Buckmaster is a BDC reticule .

I'm with Matt on this one. If the price is similar.....I'd go for the magnification.....just because. But......with that being said. Being one of the card-carrying enablers of the site......I'd say get one of each and just build another rifle. <laughs>

This is a tough one! I have a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x50 & a Nikon Monarch 3x9x40 both on hunting rifles. My go to deer rifle wears the Buckmaster 3x9x50, the only reason being it seems to preform better in low light conditions. (50mm vs 40mm?)  I have to believe what my eyes tell me. The Monarch was purchased around 1999,the Buckmaster 2004, IDK what changes were made from then till now.

I can defiantly tell that the Monarch is a better built scope, the adjustments are smoother, firmer, precise feeling. The Monarch has that "dense" heavy feel of a quality scope, the glass is slightly better than the Buckmaster's(Just enough that you can tell an improvement) 

I'm going to go against the grain (I am the Blksheep :)) ) and say if you have the extra $$ and this will be a mid range scope you wont need the extra XX, you'll get more satisfaction from the improved glass and overall better quality. I cannot comment on the Mildot vs BDC reticles because I've never tried a BDC reticle. Either scope will do the job but from my experience Nikon's glass, especially the Monarch series is under rated. What caliber rifle will this be used on?

post-11255-0-94636600-1372977984_thumb.jI would like to buy both ,but not at the same time ,I'm about to retire & am going to tighten up on spending for a while , so one will do for now .

I have a Monarch 2.5x10x 42 & hunted with it on my slug gun this past year & it is built more robustly than the 3x9x40 Buckmaster.

I going to put the scope of choice on my 24" barreled 5.56, which has a OLY, Ultra match barrel . Does that change any thing to anyone.

I am leaning toward the Monarch, but like the adj. range & power of the Buckmaster.

Interesting discussion . I also think I liked my 3x9x40 Buckmaster hunting, than I did my 2.5x10x42 Monarch, I still killed a nice 10 pointer , but I too thought it went out out focus at the higher magnification . Funny , it didn't seem that way at the range .

There could be a lot of reasons for that , other than the scope or how the scope is made.

I became more interested in these & all scopes now . I have some interesting data from the manufacturer & we can figure out what it means as a buyer.

Eye Relief, now this can make or break a scope , IMO . Some scopes/magnification/size , just don't work on some firearms.

Since we are talking about Nikon scopes , I have a few & can compare in real life usage in the field, as can others here.

Stat's, all @ 100 yds.

3x9x40 BM           6x18x40 BM     2.5x10x42 M       4x16x42 M

11.9-35.7 ft.            5.92-16.1 ft.      10.1-40.3 ft.       6.3-25.2 ft.

I know, because of magnification , Stat's will be different , the key is , what do I need & what do I want for what I'm going to use it for .

I can already see that a high magnification ,IMO , will pin point your target & aiming point with more precision.

Is that what I want for most hunting situations or for paper punching/match type usage.

I've never looked at scope Stat's so much looking to buy a scope  & I have more Stat's to think about , like weight. next.

I became more interested in these & all scopes now . I have some interesting data from the manufacturer & we can figure out what it means as a buyer.

Eye Relief, now this can make or break a scope , IMO . Some scopes/magnification/size , just don't work on some firearms.

Since we are talking about Nikon scopes , I have a few & can compare in real life usage in the field, as can others here.

Stat's, all @ 100 yds.

3x9x40 BM           6x18x40 BM     2.5x10x42 M       4x16x42 M

11.9-35.7 ft.            5.92-16.1 ft.      10.1-40.3 ft.       6.3-25.2 ft.

I know, because of magnification , Stat's will be different , the key is , what do I need & what do I want for what I'm going to use it for .

I can already see that a high magnification ,IMO , will pin point your target & aiming point with more precision.

Is that what I want for most hunting situations or for paper punching/match type usage.

I've never looked at scope Stat's so much looking to buy a scope  & I have more Stat's to think about , like weight. next.

What will it's main use be? Target or hunting?  I see that you're in north Florida so I assume it's fairly dense woods? IMO ,F.O.V. isn't very important target shooting or hunting over a soybean field, pipeline, etc.., for me FOV is most critical from 10 to 100 yards shooting at running game(or whatever needs to be shot). If I need to shoot something running within 100yards the first thing I do is dial my power all the way down & that gives me the FOV needed to acquire the moving target. 

Well , I'm going to put it on a 24" Ultra Match ,5.56 barreled AR 15 & will see service on targets & a varmint or two & most shots will be less than 200 yrds., but could go more .

The rifle will see more targets here in FLa. ,but in Ohio , well , it could go much farther.

I'm kinda leaning towards the Buckmaster because of the magnification .