• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

CMMG COMPATIBLE???

Dontonka

Hello just when you think you know it all you are corrected. Just bought a CMMG Lower from rifflegear.com out of Fountain Valley, Republic of California, and they had their last Complete Lower for 308. I don't want to offend anyone to call it an AR-10. CMMG ingraved MK-3 next to #19###. They told me to only order an upper by DPMS? ?????

Is this true? I have a Law Enforcement background & Grunt in USMC in early 90's. Is it a POS or can I fix it up? ????

Thanks Much

Don W

WPNS 3/9

Edited by Dontonka

First of all. Welcome to the forum my man.

2nd. Yes. It's only compatible with the DPMS/SR25 (M-110) pattern of 308's.

I ain't gonna bash your equipment, but it's definitely the beginning of your dive into the 308 world. CMMG is known for having some issues, but around here.....we try to think that ingenuity can try to fix anything. Not to be a stickler, but no, it's not an AR-10 (but I've been known to have a biased opinion). Armalite's are AR-10's. The others are 308 AR's.....not taking anything away from many of them. There are some pretty sweet rifle's made by many different outfits.

Throw out any questions that you may have my brother. That's what all of us are here for. All of us are always bouncing ideas off of each other.

Semper Fi!

Anything can be "made" to work. CMMG doesn't have the best reputation for parts. Often they are within spec, but at the extreme ends of the spectrum. Some fitting is usually required to get things working properly.

Be patient. Ask LOTS of questions. And most importantly, try to remember this is an expensive endeavor.

Buying a completed upper is a sure way to enhance your chances of working properly. Especially if you are a novice builder.

post-11255-0-77208300-1372976316_thumb.jI have a early CMMG lower with a billet SI Defense upper & I have had some minor issues , one of which is, won't work right with Magpul 308 mags . Works fine with any metal mag. , just that tolerance stacking can effect things when there are no standards , like with AR 15's .

I looked at mine & it is also a MK 3 (one of the first 270, by the looks of your ser.# ), nice lower . If I was going to do it again I would put a Tactical Machining upper , not that I don't like the SI Defense upper, its well made & with that come a little more weight & we all know these AR 308's are on the heavy side.

There are so many out there now , you have all kinds of choices.

Edited by survivalshop