• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Upgrade Optics?

shibiwan

I have a Nikon M-308 (BDC 800 reticle) on my MK3. It's about a month old and I'm thinking of returning it (while I still can) and getting a Vortex PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR1 MRAD instead.

One of the biggest reasons I'm flip flopping on this is the limited availability of any affordable 20-MOA mount in 30mm -- and therefore I was considering shimming a regular 30mm mount like a Burris PEPR.

I'm mostly doing target shooting and polishing up on my rusty marksmanship skills.

Keep it or exchange? I'm open to your thoughts/suggestions.

-S

Edited by shibiwan

Hi Shib What happened to the 20 moa mount that comes with the m-308 scopes? Nikon ships the 20 moa with the m-308 scope from the factory.

Most of my scopes are the Nikon monarch 8x32....but I recently got the m-308 and im highly impressed with it. With its reduced power compared to my others it shoots awesome out t0 500 and the reticle is right on for different distances when shooting the 168gr...... its rugged and well built :) Wash

Hi Shib What happened to the 20 moa mount that comes with the m-308 scopes? Nikon ships the 20 moa with the m-308 scope from the factory.

Most of my scopes are the Nikon monarch 8x32....but I recently got the m-308 and im highly impressed with it. With its reduced power compared to my others it shoots awesome out t0 500 and the reticle is right on for different distances when shooting the 168gr...... its rugged and well built :) Wash

The Nikon mount is 1" while the Vortex is 30mm so that's useless.

My other options are:

1. 20moa riser with regular 30mm rings (like the Badger 22moa riser)

2. Burris Signature Zee mounts.

3. Shimming a one-piece mount like the PEPR

4. Make my own one-piece mount (but I'm a lazy ass bitch so the other options seem more attractive to me. LOL)

I'm not saying that the Nikon M-308 is a bad scope..... in fact I'm reasonably happy with it, but I'm finding that the Nikon is pretty picky about getting the correct eye relief/eye positioning at 16x or I get the black tube effect. Other thing is the reticle, since I was trained to range using mil dots. Not being able to range using the BDC800 is a little annoying.

Perhaps it's just me being out of it for so long and I simply have to re-learn a new setup so my head/eye/face positioning is more consistent.

-S

Edited by shibiwan