• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Making my gas tube fit

eightmd

Well I'm putting together my DPMS LR 308 style rifle, and I'm trying to fit my gas tube to my bolt. I mean it fits in there but the last 1/3 or 1/2 of an inch it takes a little push. Is that normal? I have been bending the tube a little to get it going in as easy as I can but it doesn't just fall in. Of cource when it is put together and the bolt slams with the force of the buffer spring it closes and is not a problem. Is this ok or should the bolt just drop completely into the gas tube?

Also is it just the force of the bolt slaming home that rotates the bold into the barrel? And how can I make sure that my bolt is rotating all the way and completely in battery?

Thanks for any help, this is my first AR style weapon.

I'm talking about two different things. First is the gas tube fits into a cylindrical hole in the bolt carrier assembly. Is that suppose to go in effortlessly? I'm wondering is mine is lining up well enough.

The second is the bolt rotating into battery. There doesn't seem to be anything that actually rotates the bolt. Is it just the force of the bolt going forward that causes the bolt to rotate into battery?

I'm talking about two different things. First is the gas tube fits into a cylindrical hole in the bolt carrier assembly. Is that suppose to go in effortlessly? I'm wondering is mine is lining up well enough.

The second is the bolt rotating into battery. There doesn't seem to be anything that actually rotates the bolt. Is it just the force of the bolt going forward that causes the bolt to rotate into battery?

The bolt gas key should fit in the gas tube with minimal resistance. There's a possibility that your gas tube is bent.

Yes, as the bolt carrier moves forward, the bolt rotates as the bolt cam pin rides in the angled slot in the bolt carrier (under the gas key). There should be a little extra "resistance" as the bolt carrier group moves in the final 1/2" or so.

Try this -- remove the entire BCG, then pull the bolt out. Next push the bolt into the bolt carrier and you'll see it rotate as it gets pushed in. Pull it out and it rotates the opposite direction.

-S

Edited by shibiwan

We're all "new" at some point or other when picking up something we've never done before, but a wise person will learn from the mistakes and advice of others. :)

BTW, Remember to oil the entire bolt carrier group well (WET!). It really helps with a new AR-style gun as the parts aren't broken in yet.

-S

Also check the gas block alignment , if not a tapered pin attachment . Of course its possible, that, that alignment could be off , but unlikely .

You can look down at the inside of the stripped upper assembly( no charging handle or BCG ). Use something to gage the gap between the gas tube & the carrier keyway in the upper at the end or tip of the gas tube where it protrudes inside the upper receiver.

Normally I can just look down at it & tell its off  or not.