• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Flat side on case neck

gnatshooter

Friends,

I shoot a DPMS LR-308T and have noticed that the necks of the empty cases (spent brass) are not perfectly round. Instead, they are slightly flattened on one side. Like they are hitting something hard on the way out of the chamber or something.

Does this mean I have a problem with the rifle? It shoots flawlessly -- no FTFs, FTEs, etc.

Thanks!

If the brass deflector is the little flappy-door thingie on a hinge at the ejection port, I don't have one of them on my unit.

:laughing4: Lol...

Close. The brass deflector is not the "little flappy-door thingie", instead it is the "little pokey-out nub-thingie" behind the "little flappy-door thingie" <lmao>

If you have a slick side upper, it may just be the brass bouncing off the side of the receiver. You probably will notice small brass marks forming in a small area just behind the ejection port. After 100+ rounds the marks will become more apparent.

I use to have this problem with my DPMS but I also had other issues going on that related to over gassing. When I put an adjustable gas block on the rifle all my brass problems went away and the case necks come out nice and round. I have the carbine length gas system which seems to be harder on brass than mid and rifle length gas systems.