• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Any luck finding 175gr HPBT at a reasonable price?

shibiwan

I had been picking up FGMM 175gr HPBT's from Sportsman's Warehouse regularly and they've suddenly dried up.

Any one else have any success finding 175gr HPBT at a reasonable** price right now? (** I'm considering reasonable being $1.30-$1.40/round since each box costs $26.99)

Thoughts on the XM117LR? Other alternatives, although I'm partial to Federal.....?

Thanks

-S

man these threads kill me. One thing that sucks about living in Alaska is that shipping KILLS any ammo deal online - after shipping I may as well buy at the local prices. I hope to God that when Cabelas finally opens their first store up here this spring that they honor the free shipping to store offer that now includes ammo (according to their website) But I doubt it'll be much more than their Herters stuff...

so it's all Sportsmans, not just up here? wow. I'm a little low on 308, but that's ridiculous. I knew I should have bought more when it was $699. Live and learn... (and buy it no matter how pissed off the wifely unit© gets)

Yeah, pretty much all the big sporting goods stores are dry. Bass Pro just got in Winchester 168gr HPBT Match rounds but at $39.99/20 box that's insane since Federal GMM 175's are under $30/box when/if you can find them at the stores.

In hindsight, I should have picked up more FGMM 175's at sportsman's when they were available.

Edited by shibiwan

sad thing is, I can't find anything locally, other than steel cased crap or the Federal - maybe a box here and there of other stuff, but also at inflated prices. I may break down and buy some, but I really want to think things will return to normal.

And then I go and read about this: http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/articles/2013/10/end-of-an-era-last-us-lead-smelter-to-close-in-december.aspx

No idea how this will affect things, but in my opinion....  not very well. Almost enough to make me rethink the case of Federal at Sportsmans.

"in 2008 the federal Environmental Protection Agency issued new National Ambient Air Quality Standards for lead that were 10 times tighter than the previous standard.  Given the new lead air quality standard, Doe Run made the decision to close the Herculaneum smelter."

"after the Herculaneum smelter closes its doors in December, entirely domestic [u.S.] manufacture of conventional ammunition, from raw ore to finished cartridge, will be impossible." http://bit.ly/1bn2V9L

Anybody want to bet that the real point of the EPA lead standards was to take a shot at US ammunition production?

Obama said he would shut down coal-fired electricity in the US, using EPA standards, and he's thrown thousands of coal miners out of work. Welcome to the Imperial Government.

sad thing is, I can't find anything locally, other than steel cased crap or the Federal - maybe a box here and there of other stuff, but also at inflated prices. I may break down and buy some, but I really want to think things will return to normal.

And then I go and read about this: http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/articles/2013/10/end-of-an-era-last-us-lead-smelter-to-close-in-december.aspx

No idea how this will affect things, but in my opinion....  not very well. Almost enough to make me rethink the case of Federal at Sportsmans.

Don't get me wrong. The XM80C is a great and reliable round. My personal preference and rifle setup for long range targets is the 175gr SMK - that's why I'm looking for other options beside the FGMM's.

There may be some relation between the lead smelter shutting down and the shortage of ammo, but the XM80C is a steel core round like the XM855 (5.56/.223 rounds). Maybe that's why we're seeing them all over the place.

Edited by shibiwan

either way, makes me want to buy some more of whatever I can get. Panic? not really, but foreshadowing foresight is more like it.

now we'll be more dependant on imported ammo, and whats to stop Obama from using an EO to ban that? It's know he has mentioned it... frankly, I'm surprised he hasn't already. I don't think the ammo shortage is due to this... but it WILL be the cause when it gets worse in the near future. Frankly, even if the ammo is not up to par, it's better than throwing rocks.

Edited by SwissyJim