• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Arisaka Ariska Arisaka

Dane Armory

• 2 months later...

I would not mess with that Type 44 if it has not already been messed with. Is that dust cover original? Arisakas with intact mums are not actually rare, but it is very nice to see a 44 with it, for sure.

They might not be that rare but I did not see an intact one on a rifle until last fall. I have see about a dozen over the years.

• 4 weeks later...

The story I have been told by many different people is ; A Japanese soldier considered the weapon s property of the Emperior. They were told to mare the rifle if they knew would be killed or captured.

Most rifles were hit with the buttstock of another rifle acrossed the flower.

Needs either new wood or a stock from another gun.

Dang, that's too bad. Seriously affects the value! Keep the old, damaged wood no matter what though. I've seen some amazing work with damaged stocks on Japanese rifles by this one gent who knows Japanese stocks.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the point of grinding the flower off? Does it look unmanly or something?

See below...

Lot of it has to do with "demilling" for importation of foreign weapons.  Certain things you have to do to them to bring them into the country.

No. Not for this.

The story I have been told by many different people is ; A Japanese soldier considered the weapon s property of the Emperior. They were told to mare the rifle if they knew would be killed or captured.

Most rifles were hit with the buttstock of another rifle acrossed the flower.

The chrysanthemums were ground off of a number of surrendered weapons. According to literature, it may have been ordered by Gen. McArthur, though there is do written proof of it. 

Don't know if there is any truth to the intentional marring of the rifles by soldiers, though I have heard the same thing. Haven't heard about using butt stocks, but I have heard about the use of bayonets to hack the flower. 

But a great number of these rifles do have intact chrysanthemums.