• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

AR pistol grips on DPMS

1plinker

Trying to put better pistol grips on a DPMS AR15 and a DPMS LR. On both, the front edge of the grip mounting area hangs down about an 1/8 " below the rear edge of the trigger guard creating an uncomfortable bump. I'd like to be able to put my middle finger there, but cannot due to the mismatch in height at that point.   The only thing I can think of is to take a file to the pistol grip. This holds true with both the original grips and a couple of accesory grips I've tried. 

DPMS blew me off on the phone, Said the grip probably wasn't screwed down tight enough.  WTF?  Why do their original grips not fit?  Why is the trigger guard area not mil spec?  What a coincidence that all the accesory makers are making the front edge of their grips too long.  Suggestions anyone?

Edited by 1plinker

I have tried Houge,Ergo, and Magpul Moe+.Got the Jpeg from LaRue for AR10 [there designation] for RRA .308 and fit for hand was perfect.Leaves tip of finger for trigger.They have a rough and smooth type.It's a hard plastic.The Moe+ left a gap. Found when I had them next to each other the horizontal straight had to be made longer to eliminate the gap.Can't remember where I saw it but dementionally the Jpeg was one of the largest.MagPul Moes on my 15's.

Plinker, this is what you're facing - it sucks, too.  I didn't even shoot the thing like this.  I took the Dremel to it right away. 

LR30804.jpg

LR30805.jpg

Took the Dremel to it, smoothed that damn notch right out of there, then oiled the plastic.  Can't even tell it was done, afterwards. 

LR30807.jpg

LR30806.jpg

Here's the original thread, if you want to read through it.