• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Converting .223/5.56 Brass to 300BLK

MikedaddyH

I need to get the details in the Lee dies, brother.  I've got 13,000 rds of mixed 5.56/.223 brass, so I'm gonna make a couple thousand rounds of Blackout.  I'm searching for some type of setup (holder, or something) to make the annealing process a little easier or faster.  I'll anneal every one of them just  to do it. 

With so much inexpensive .223/5.56 brass around , why do the annealing . I've been reloading some of my brass 3 - 5 times already with out a split case . I'll just cut & form more to replace them , if need be .   <dontknow>

I like shooting 300BLK , I  put the MBUS from my 16" 308 on my 300BLK, also lost  its Burris Extreme Tach. rings to the 16 " 308 , so I can't wait to dump some 300BLK with irons & close.

Edited by survivalshop

I need to get the details in the Lee dies, brother.  I've got 13,000 rds of mixed 5.56/.223 brass, so I'm gonna make a couple thousand rounds of Blackout.  I'm searching for some type of setup (holder, or something) to make the annealing process a little easier or faster.  I'll anneal every one of them just  to do it. 

Always wanted to make one like this but dont really have to volume to justify it.  Yet....

Put the kids to work!

Tom , I was able to get a LEE 3 die set off Amazon for $39.99.

Lee has trim dies or the old gauge and shell trim set ups.

What I did was use the Harbor Freight 2 inch mini chop saw to cut the brass off just below the neck, deburr then size the brass before trimming. You will have to adjust the sizing die so the shoulder is in the right height.. Lube the inside and outside of the neck before sizing, wash afterwards to remove the lube. Also a jig can be made to make cutting faster and easier. I don't see annealing as an option yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Sized 21 223 cases from the Marana shoot, they were all short.

I marked the sizing die with a marker before I took it off my press after the last session so it was still accurate.

Added a new step to the process : cut below shoulder ,trim to 1.380" before sizing , deburr ,size , trim to 1.368" ,I/O champher , size ,wash off lube.