• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

turning down a barrel?

beachmaster

Hi, I have a black rain ordnance 18" barrel, and I couldn't get any information on it. I got ahold of b.r.o., and they informed me that the barrel weights 3.9lbs! (I knew it was a little heavier than I thought it should have been!) I believe the section of barrel behind the gas block is over an inch in diameter, so I talked to my local gunsmith about the possibility of turning the barrel down to maybe .8"

I have heard alot of people talking about doing this, one person with a barrel lighter than mine from the factory took 13oz off his barrel. But I was looking for oppinions on the effect on the accuracy and longevity of a barrel if you have this done.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Barrel, 16", .308 AR, Ultralight, 1x10, Chrome Lined, Threaded, Match Quality, FA by Criterion 30816lw.png

Price: $374.95
Part #: FA-TU-002-UL

In Stock
Quantity:

For use on DPMS/Remington/FA pattern .308 AR rifles with a rifle-length gas system, includes barrel extension.

Uniformity of the bore dimension, groove dimension, and twist, along with the finish produced by hand lapping are esstential for the ultimate accuracy of the barrel which achieves "Match Quality".

Our Hybrid Match Chamber allows use of .308 Win & 7.62x51 mm NATO Calibers

Specifications
  • 16"
  • Ultra Lightweight contour, 2.1 lbs
  • 1-10 twist
  • .625 Gas Block
  • 5/8th x 24 threaded muzzle (.625)
  • .308/7.62 finished chamber- Chrome lined
  • Rifle-length gas system
  • Ordinance-grade chrome moly steel
  • Manganese phosphate parkerized
  • Button rifling, double stress relieved 

Sell the barrel & get this one , if you want light weight Or contact ADCO to see how much you can take off the BRO.

Reprofiling barrels is what Lance does. He is not quick BUT you will be impressed with it after he is done. It cost about $200 per barrel.

Make sure this is what you want. It is easier to buy another barrel and put your old barrel on another gun.

Edited by Dane Armory

I  had the heavy 18" barrel in my DPMS LR308 and had it turned down to .750 in front of the gas block. I didn't do anything behind the gas block though. At the same time I had my machinist buddy cut and thread the muzzle so I could put a brake on it. I re-parkerized it and put the gun back together, and as far as I can tell it hasn't affected the accuracy at all and it's not near as muzzle heavy. I'm very happy with the outcome.