• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I have a new AR10T that is short cycling and

We can post the info here or a Sticky thread on our barrels we install or replace or when we have them off the upper for work . Note the particular's of the barrel, who made it , what port size you have . It shouldn't take too long to get some good data , for reference .

I have my 16" barrel off right now & will try to get as good of a reading as I can .Robo & 98 , I'm sure has some data to share.

Fulton Armory , Krieger Criterion ,16"HB , 0.936 " gas block , rifle length gas system , aprox. port diameter - ?

This way ,we are not stepping on toes or giving out secrets or twisting any arms , so to speak.

Edited by survivalshop

Fulton Armory , 16" HB ,0.936" gas block seat, rifle length gas system , port diameter -0.1095" . 

A 7/64 drill bit fit right in the port ,took a very small amount of twisting to get bits shank in there ,but fits perfect , so I measured the drill bit with a Micrometer & digital caliper .

Edited by survivalshop

SORRY I did not mean to come off like a DICK !!

Here are some basic numbers : For 308 guns

Rifle length gas system

.088" factory spec

.089 "another mfg

.087" thur .095" several other companies

.094" thur .096" two really high end barrel makers

.1065" max size on a very ill gun

Carbine gas system

.074"

.076" also M14 port size

.079" thur .0805"

.0835" thur .084" 16 inch barrel

As with everything like this start at the smallest size and work up One drill bit size at a time.

Number #47 bit or a#43 bit will put you in the ball park.

Remeber gas port holes erode with use !

Warning use data with caution ; I did not use any company names !

These are starting points. If you go too big an adjustable gas block will be your "Band ade" fix. The max size of the gas tube is about .110" .

Did I mention USE At YOUR OWN RISK . Get your own Data !

SORRY I did not mean to come off like a DICK !!

You didn't IMO , I & I believe others understand .

.1065" max size on a very ill gun

Are you saying I have a "ill gun " ? <laughs> Is there a doctor in the house .

This rifle has not had enough rounds to make even remotely " ill " , These FA barrels probably do not conform to normal port sizes of a rifle length gas system . This 16" rifle is not over gassed in any way IMO

This is why I would like to start another thread on port sizes, so we can see what is out there , just for info & trouble shooting purposes . Not sure where I want or should start a new thread on this subject .

Edited by survivalshop

You answered your own question ... 16 inch gun with a a rifle lenght gas system.

From the gas port to the muzzle is blank inches, much shorter than a regular rifle gas lenght barrel of 20 inches to 24 inches. As the bullet passes the gas port hole it starts its cycle to feed the bolt carrier key with gas which propels the carrier in reverse. The lenght of barrel which is between the gas port and the muzzle is shorter so the gas port hole must be larger to provide enough volume of gas to operate the bolt carrier's weight.

Adjustable weight on the carrier , adjustable gas blocks , different weights of buffers all fix a bad port size. If the port size is right the ejection of brass is at 3 O'clock and we would not have to fix anything.

SS the last part of that rambling statement was not for you but just info.

• 1 year later...