• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Favorite Factory load or reload for the Standard AR10 rifle

For those of us who have the Standard Ar10 rifle with the 20 inch barrel, how about some experiences with what your favorite load is? With a 1 in 11.25 twist rather then the AR10T's 1 in 10, what bullets weights/powder combos have you found the best? As most of you know, Armalite recommends the 168 gr for the "T", but for the standard no real recommendations. Plus 20 versus 16 barrel could make some differences. Interesting enough, I have had best results with M118LR Lake City 175 gr SMK's. I have pretty good luck with 147 gr Nato surplus, but not as accurate. 2 - 2.5 MOA versus 1.5 or less. ( on my non coffee drinking days) right now the M118LR or my reload equivalent remains my favorite, but I want to do some experimenting with the Barnes line of bullets. Jump in with your thoughts.

Well here you go, JMO... 1-11.25" TWIST BARREL will like 125gr to 155gr projectiles. The heavy bullets that you list are not designed for your barrel.

Try some ballistic tipped 125gr or 130gr ammo. Also try some hollow point 150gr or 155gr ammo. It may improve the accuracy of your gun by shooting a more approate wieght ammo.

Good Luck!

Well here you go, JMO... 1-11.25" TWIST BARREL will like 125gr to 155gr projectiles. The heavy bullets that you list are not designed for your barrel.

Try some ballistic tipped 125gr or 130gr ammo. Also try some hollow point 150gr or 155gr ammo. It may improve the accuracy of your gun by shooting a more approate wieght ammo.

Good Luck!

If my memory is right, Armalite recommends 150 grain or higher. I can't remember offhand if that is just for the AR10T. We are moving and my manual is packed. The lighter Barnes bullets interest me as they have some progressive thoughts on bullet design and corresponding ballistic coefficients. I do intend to pick some lighter ones up. Any preferred powder and load?

homeLogo.jpg   

- 7" * for heavy VLD bullets and/or subsonic ammo.
- 8" for bullets heavier than 220 gr.
- 10" for bullets up to 220 gr.
- 12" for bullets up to 170 gr.
- 13" * Ratchet rifled 4 groove
- 14" * for bullets up to 168gr.
- 15" * for bullets up to 150 gr.
- 17" * for bullets up to 125 gr.  

Surely a 1-11.25 will fall in between 1-10 & 1-12        

homeLogo.jpg   

- 7" * for heavy VLD bullets and/or subsonic ammo.

- 8" for bullets heavier than 220 gr.

- 10" for bullets up to 220 gr.

- 12" for bullets up to 170 gr.

- 13" * Ratchet rifled 4 groove

- 14" * for bullets up to 168gr.

- 15" * for bullets up to 150 gr.

- 17" * for bullets up to 125 gr.  

Surely a 1-11.25 will fall in between 1-10 & 1-12

These appear to be the maximum weight to be used with their barrel per twist rate.