• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Blackout SBR

SwissyJim

vera.png

LOL
Back from the range... got Vera tuned and tweaked. With the SLR Rifleworks DA7 adjustable block, I have the opening at 9 clicks (out of 15) for the PNW 147gr range ammo, and 11 clicks for the PNW 220gr Subsonic ammo. I'm pretty impressed... not much recoil, locks back even after a 5 shot rapid fire group, pretty quiet for even an 8" barrel (altho the Noveske PIG helps that). All in all, she shoots really, really well. And as luck would have it I hit the one store on the way back from the range that actually carries 300blk ammo and got the last 2 boxes of Hornady 110 Vmax! Too bad I stopped on the way HOME.

But... luckily enough, my truck did not start this morning for some reason so I have to pack what I could in the wifes car after I dropped her at work. Which means all I had was my rifle, and range bag. No targets of any kind, and since the range is closed today, all I could do was shoot at the backstop. Why is that lucky? Well... I have to go back soon to sight it in! And soon...  YIPPEE!! LOL

1780903_620184858052328_1246183299_n.jpg

Edited by SwissyJim

Soo...  final part is done (except for the can of course). But, the road to my 300BLK SBR has not been all pretty, and needed this one last thing:

long story short... I tried to use a local service for my SBR engraving - keeping money local, supporting local shops, yada yada. Local gun shop that deals in Class3 stuff said a certain engraver in town did theirs, to ATF specs. Ok... sounds good, right? I picked up my lower and about EXPLODED! Looked like some trainee had practiced on my lower before ETCHING a children's version of a 'Worlds Best Parent' plaque. Absolutely GOD-AWFUL. Man, I was pissed. Demanded my money back, fought with them over it, walked out with a few expletives hurled, headed straight to the LGS, showed them, bitched at them, made no friends there (hint: they have their own really bad reality show) and no longer deal with them AT ALL. Started driving 35 miles to a different class3 dealer as a result (and totally happy)

So... now I had a lower with a totally screwed up engraving - more like a etching. Too shallow of lettering, way bigger than I asked, wrong font, was not blackened so it was shiny aluminum colored, just FUBAR from start to finish and it takes up a LARGE portion of the right side magwell (notice none of the pics I posted show it close up Just the one where the lighting hid it??). I ended up sending it to Ident and dammit, should have done so in the first place. That's what I get for trying to be a good local boy. So now to fix this screwup... Doing some research, JB weld is the choice of repairs. Before I did anything, I looked into Duracoating as there is a Durafill as well. Decided to do the Cerakote with things filled in by JB Weld since the guy with the duracoat stuff never replied to me until weeks had gone by. I did a great job filling, and sanding it sooooth, if I may say so myself. Cerakoter said he's put a tad thicker on in the area. Well, when he was done it was smooth to the touch. You could not tell by touching it where it was. BUT... cerakote is applied thin. REAL thin. You could see it thru the coating, even with the thicker application. NUTS to the 10th power. What to do...

1908248_622050397865774_1751521540_n.jpg
Problem solved.  Custom made stickers... $35 for 20 of them for when they wear off or get damaged. Have another design with a Roman helmet and 'Molon Labe' on it but I think I'm sticking with this one.

Sighting in range report coming this week.

yea, it looks good. But I tell ya, I learned a lesson (and read about it AFTER the fact - go figure). Get your lower engraved BEFORE applying for the SBR tax stamp. That way if something like my issues arises, you just get another lower engraved and use that one. Once the form is filed, like mine, you are stuck with that lower.  I never thought about it but makes sense. Duh. I have a nice Umbrella Corp lower I may send in to get engraved, just in case. plus I had them do it under the trigger guard so if I do not do an SBR no one will ever see it.

Robo...  ebay special <thumbsup>   Got a couple done - this one, one for my .308 that once opened, says 'reach out and touch someone' and another I will probably never use, but laughed when I saw it. As a fan of Team America, I had too... when opened,it says 'SURPRISE COCK FAGS!' :banana: