• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

How is Federal American Eagle 168gr OTM for M1A?

harley96cube

How is "Federal American Eagle 168gr OTM for M1A"?

Has anyone tried this in a 308ar?

It's a bit less expensive than 168gr Gold Medal Match...thought I might buy a few boxes and try it out.

New gun, haven't fired it yet. I thought I would shoot some PMC 147gr to break in, then see how it works with 168gr.

So 147gr PMC is $0.65 per round, AM Eagle 168gr OTM is $1.00 per round, and Federal Gold Metal Match Sierra Match King BTHP 168gr (GM308M) is about $1.50.

I don't see pushing out past 400 yds in the near future. Is the Federal American Eagle 168gr OTM for M1A likely as accurate (consistent?) out to 400 as the GM308M?

I'm sure I'll buy a box or two of the GM308M, but was thinking of case of AmEagle OTM.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Is the Federal American Eagle 168gr OTM for M1A likely as accurate (consistent?) out to 400 as the GM308M?

Former range I lived by had steel at 100 through 400 in 50 yards increments.  I could ring steel all the way through with just minor sight holdover on a 100-yard zero.  The 525 and 575 required a little more holdover, or elevation changes, but the ammo did it's job very well.  It's good ammo. 

When it was available all the time, which was prior to December 2012, it was around $16/box of 20.  It's very worthy ammo for the price it carries. 

• 5 months later...