• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Heavy Buffer / Springs - Are they worth it?

Chaser

At the start of the project, I had planned on getting a heavy recoil buffer and spring with the intent to shoot with a silencer at some point.  As I looked into the laws, Minnesota DOES allow silencers, but they are so extremely limited, that there is no way I would be able to shoot with them under existing statutes. 

As a result, the question of the heavy buffer comes under question.  I have an adjustable gas block, so I can verify that I'm not over-gassing.  However, I do not care about the recoil as much, but the heavy buffer could also throw off aim with increased forward momentum. 

I'd love to get the input of those that have dealt with the .308 platform most.  Thank you for your time in this.

Jon

That was the thought I had.  For shooting with a silencer, the extra recoil buffer would maybe have helped with keeping the gas to the face that I'd read about (I've honestly never shot with a can before), but for routine shooting, it just seems like adding more weight means you have to add more gas, which throws a heavier weight around to degrade the accuracy.  If I'm worried about recoil for a little kid, I could maybe justify it.

Since I'm not shooting suppressed, not worried about recoil, and not planning on shooting super hot-loads, then I'm not seeing a real benefit to it.  The rifle is going to be "done right the first time" (I hope).....so I'd rather not make it so that I'm buying stuff that isn't really needed. 

Jon

Your bullet is a long ways out of the barrel before the buffer is returning your BCG into battery. If you think about it, the BCG doesn't even move until the bullet is halfway down the barrel, passing the gas block.

Additionally, the heavy buffer will slow down the cyclic rate of your rifle. I'll bet the bolt isn't even completely back before the bullet leaves the muzzle.

The adjustable gas block was designed for race gunners, who want to make the lightest weight possible rifle, that will cycle extremely fast, where accuracy comes second to speed. When the first .308's rolled off the line, they came with carbine gas systems. That was a huge overkill on gas. It caused some issues for some shooters. An inexpensive fix for most of those guys was the Adj Gb. Nowadays, most .308 bbls come with mid or rifle length gas systems, and the diameter of the gas port hole has been more strenuously tested. The gas is a lot better regulated without needing any adjustments (assuming you do your part is buying a quality barrel).

If you are looking to soften the impulse of the rifle, thus reducing the felt recoil, the heavy buffer will help.

Many of us who have high end rigs are using the heavy (tungsten) buffers. Just my $0.02

My primary concern is accuracy.  I'm getting a JP rifles barrel and gas block (the adjustable part was again to allow for silencer use without getting gas in the face).  Cyclic rate is relatively unimportant, as I cannot see myself pulling a doubletap accurately in the time it takes the bolt to cycle.  Felt recoil is of limited importance because I want to keep the barrel on target, but I am also able handle kick.

I don't mind spending money, but I don't want to spend money on items that are useless or will degrade accuracy.

Jon

My primary concern is accuracy.  I'm getting a JP rifles barrel and gas block (the adjustable part was again to allow for silencer use without getting gas in the face).  Cyclic rate is relatively unimportant, as I cannot see myself pulling a doubletap accurately in the time it takes the bolt to cycle.  Felt recoil is of limited importance because I want to keep the barrel on target, but I am also able handle kick.

I don't mind spending money, but I don't want to spend money on items that are useless or will degrade accuracy.

Jon

I don't see a buffer system change degrading accuracy at all. The bullet exits the barrel before the BCG begins any rearward movement. That said, I don't see a heavier buffer offering you much value.

Buffer & spring also work to feed the next round into the chamber , there is a balance of sorts that is needed for proper function of a complete recoil & feeding cycle of the action. The inertia of the buffers weight helps all this happen .

The issue of the right weigh buffer has to do with a couple of factors . I wait till the action is properly broke in , for any tuning with the buffer & spring. There are only a few choices in weights , so they will all pretty much work , but some will work better than others depending on several factors . 

I guess by accuracy I'm not meaning affecting the round already being sent downrange, but rather subsequent rounds by rifle movement. 

I looked into the LMOS system, but was not sure on whether the performance would be worth the pricing, and have been attempting to research them prior to making a purchase.  The concept of getting rid of the nasty recoil sound would be really nice too....but it has to have a purpose greater than that before I stick it into the rifle. 

Jon

I use heavy buffers and haven't experienced anything your speaking of. I can hit fast follow up shots in all my rifles, but there's a huge difference in accuracy with how fast I'm trying to it.

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for. Is this a combat rifle? A precision rig? What's the end use? I personally think a trigger will make more of a difference than anything. Also training. Do you have any formal training?

The trigger is a Geissele SSA-E 2 stage, which I have on my AR-15 as well.

As far as most of my experiences, I've done a limited amount of shooting through the Army (I was a direct commission though, so the stuff I've learned was on my own after the "Here is an M-16, point the skinny end that way and keep your booger scratcher off the boom button").  I can qualify with the M16, but I am not shooting expert....and I can shoot between Sharpshooter and Expert with the 9mm, but I'd rather not let an enemy within 50 feet of me, because the odds are that they can reach out and touch me well before that.

End stage is a personal use that will give me a personal rifle resembling a combat rifle, but still maintaining a high degree of accuracy.  I have never been fond of big shiny objects, but I don't anticipate hunting anything outside of paper...but would rather be able to shoot well in the event that it is ever required.  (As your saying says "Those that desire peace prepare for war.") 

Distance and precision shooting (to this degree) are new to me, and I've been working on reading books and videos....which has some input, but is also of limited use. 
Jon

With that info, I don't see any drawback to using a heavy buffer, unless you go with LMOS. (They don't work well together) I'm guessing you'll have a bipod, so prone and bench shooting follow up shots will be as fast as you the shooter can achieve, and standing shots will be a matter of practice on the trigger and optic set up.