• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Handguard options

Hey guys, new to the site. In the beginning stages of dpms build, and running into some snags on handguards. Ive noticed the Troy's, the Midwest Industries, and the Samson's (and probably others) are all a "clamp" on style rather than a thread on style. Any legitimate issuses with the clamp on? Ive read some bad reviews then some with no issues. Looks like the thread on versions would alleviate any problems, but most of those are $350+! Just want to make a good decision here and not one i will regret later. Any direction would be appreciated.

Flatlander, welcome to the site. A more knowledgeable and outspoken group on the topic of AR 308's you won't find anywhere else. Handguards vs Free Float tubes is where you are at. All handguards are relatively inexpensive. Free Float tubes cure a number of issues with accuracy. I fully intend to use my LR308 Classic in competition. So I searched and found several free float tubes that also function as handguards. I currently have an LMT free float slotted tube in place while I wait to buy the Troy Industries Rifle FF tube. In my mind, clamp on or snap on doesn't solve the problem of the barrel being pulled towards the shooter when the shooter is using a sling. And while this isn't a 223 clone with a thinner barrel, there is still some twisting and bending imparted. Enough for me to group nicely at 11 o'clock from 200yds with standard handguards and to cloverleaf the x-ring at 200 with the FF tube. If you can put the money out, call Troy Industries and have them walk you thru getting the right one. Nope, I don't work for them or sell their products. Just been suitably impressed in dealings so far.

Some of the screw on or threaded on, are made for the early DPMS rail heights , like JP Enterprises , which I like, but there Modular will only fit the old rail height  . I also have a Troy Battle rail & have no problems with it on my 300BLK. I also have the Fulton Armory 308 hand guard on my 20 " with the screw on or threaded hand guard tube with the cinch nut & its been on that rifle for a long time .

You can get a stock type DPMS one piece tube that is the barrel nut & hand guard all in one, if you don't want a upper rail. You could fit an accessory rail on , but if you ever remove the  the hand guard for what ever reason , the upper rail may not match back up with the upper receivers rail ,when even reinstalling the same barrel .Its a crap shoot .

Whats good about the clamp on ones , most use the existing barrel nut , not some proprietary system .

Just make sure what rail height of DPMS Upper receiver you have & see which fit . If you want rails , that is .

Edited by survivalshop

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...