• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bushmaster buffers?

Flatlander

I have recently purchased a Magpul PRS for a Bushmaster that originally had a collapsible stock. I have purchased the new buffer tube for the PRS application as well as a spring and a buffer for the .308 (backordered) from Midway. As i was reading through some of the threads and looking at heavybuffers.com, i see that some special attention is needed for the Bushmaster rifles.

Do i need to cancel my backordered buffer and send back my spring for something different?

I will be shooting bullet weights on the upper end (180-200).....

Can someone walk me through this? Im sure it's been posted before, but not having much success searching......

I have recently purchased a Magpul PRS for a Bushmaster that originally had a collapsible stock. I have purchased the new buffer tube for the PRS application as well as a spring and a buffer for the .308 (backordered) from Midway. As i was reading through some of the threads and looking at heavybuffers.com, i see that some special attention is needed for the Bushmaster rifles.

Do i need to cancel my backordered buffer and send back my spring for something different?

I will be shooting bullet weights on the upper end (180-200).....

Can someone walk me through this? Im sure it's been posted before, but not having much success searching......

The real question is this - please post a pic of your Bushmaster.

If you have a REALLY OLD Bushmaster, then it's the same thing as a Rock River Arms LAR8 - that pattern is NOT like the other two patterns of 308AR rifles.

If you DO NOT have that old ass Bushmaster (OR if you DO NOT have a RRA LAR8), then you have other options.

Put up pics of your Bushmaster, and tell us what model of Bushmaster it is.  If you bought some old $hit, you're in for an awakening.  I'm just sayin'...

Everything you thought, and was told - isn't.

P.S.  Good luck loading 180~200 grain bullets to mag length, too.

Edited by 98Z5V

It is a new bushmaster...interested in other options.....do tell. I will post pics soon.

I have not run any of these heavy bullet loads through the gun yet, but great point on COL. The load data shows a COL of 2.81" and the inside length of the mag is 2.841" ....foresee problems?

Thanks for the heads up there, easy to get caught up in the hype and what you want vs what will work, but then again that's why i'm on this site, you guys have way more experience than myself and are great resources, so i appreciate the input!

Your biggest issue would be with the Pmag. You can still single load the heavies, one bullet in the mag at a time. Pmags have the shortest space, due to the polymer thickness, and the fact that they have that little ridge in the front of the case to assist feeding. Lots of guys have had issues loading heavier than 175gr (I've never tried to shoot heavier than 175gr, so I'm not the best witness).

If your rifle used the G3 mags (which it doesn't sound it does, if it's DPMS compatible) you could've loaded EXTRA long loads. Those mags are enormous!