• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

picked this up for 200 bucks..

Cali_Ed

. I think mentioned earlier th lc brass has less capacity correct.

Yes, thicker case walls, and base around the primer.  I have cut-brass pics somewhere on this site.  That's the reason I told you 43.0 grains with LC brass. 

Alliant will probably tell you - from a lawyered-up, safety aspect, not to load 175s with RL15, because that doesn't exist in their load manual.  Don't be surprised if you get that response.  I'm curious to see what they say, though.  <thumbsup>

Edited by 98Z5V

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^  That's a steal.  Grab every piece that seller still has available.  Seriously.   :eek:

About 1.5 years ago, I got lucky on some Hornady Match brass, and I think it was 0.20 per.  I grabbed 1k of it.  It was on here, too - I need to track down who I bought it from.

Sold 200 of them to a Border Patrol friend, and offered it to him for what I bought it for - he refused, and gave me 0.40 per.  The other 800 are loaded, and saved for a rainy day.  <thumbsup>

^^^  That's a steal.  Grab every piece that seller still has available.  Seriously.   :eek:

That's good advice.  Having a lot of brass from the same manufacturer and lot can simplify reloading a lot.  Same goes for all components: powder/primers/bullets.  Everything is more consistent that way because there are always differences (granted they may be small but they all add up) from lot to lot.  Just one more way to eliminate variables.  For example, I bought a bunch of Hornady AMax for my .223 varmint gun one time and forgot to check the lot numbers.  Ran thru the first box and started on the second.  Lo and behold I was suddenly grouping almost two inches higher and 1/2" to the right.  I was getting the same group size (.6" @ 200 yds), but my POI changed - way more than minute of prairie dog given the ranges I was shooting. :-[   Reinforced a lesson I should have kept in mind.  Oh well.

So here's what I've gather so far using a little bit of math

From the 6 mm br site

Powder: rl15

primer: f210m

minimum: 40.5g

middle: 42.75g

Max: 45g

From alliant

Powder:rl15

primer:

Minimum:38.5g

Middle:39.9g

Max:41.3g

Case:

You need to carefully watch what cases you're loading here.  Is it Federal .308 Win cases that you're loading, or once-fired LC NATO cases, Or Hornady Match Brass?  Quite the difference between them.

Just sayin', don't grab a number that's based off "x" and load it into a "y" case - double check and verify all the info you gather.  <thumbsup>

For 175 BTHP Hornady or SMK projos, try some Lake CIty brass and 43.0 grains of RL15.  If that makes you uncomfortable (shouldn't), run the first 5 loads at 42.5 grains and check 'em out. 

From what I've been using through the heavy 5.56 loads, the Hornady 75gr BTHP projos do slightly better than the 77gr SMKs.  I still load the hell out of the 77 SMKs, though.

People don't trust me...  :fawkdance:

You're right - seriously.  Don't trust handload information that you find, until you can verify it.  That's the exact right thing to do.  <thumbsup>

Unless it's conservative.  LOTS of people and books said not to trust big flake powder on an autopress.

But I had to find out for myself.  :hunter: