• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

picked this up for 200 bucks..

Cali_Ed

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Buy!  I like the RL-15, but Varget is my favorite too.  I cut out a couple of circles of plywood and screwed 'em together with some of that mesh fencing with the 1/4" squares in it. I used a plastic 5 gal bucket as my size reference. Then I routed a groove around one side that would fit over the bucket edge.  Just set it on the bucket and dump the tumbler into it. Pick out the brass (holding the neck down to dump out the media and presto, it's separated. I use the bucket to store the media in between cleaning sessions.  Gotta warn you tho', sometimes it can be a pain getting the stuff out of .223 cases.  That little case neck is a literal bottleneck (no pun intended) that can jam up the media. A lot of the time you'll have to tap the case to get it all out (open to suggestions here guys for a better way).  Flash holes can get pieces stuck in them too.  I use an old decapper to push those loose.

You need to carefully watch what cases you're loading here.  Is it Federal .308 Win cases that you're loading, or once-fired LC NATO cases, Or Hornady Match Brass?  Quite the difference between them.

Just sayin', don't grab a number that's based off "x" and load it into a "y" case - double check and verify all the info you gather.  <thumbsup>

For 175 BTHP Hornady or SMK projos, try some Lake CIty brass and 43.0 grains of RL15.  If that makes you uncomfortable (shouldn't), run the first 5 loads at 42.5 grains and check 'em out. 

From what I've been using through the heavy 5.56 loads, the Hornady 75gr BTHP projos do slightly better than the 77gr SMKs.  I still load the hell out of the 77 SMKs, though.

Edited by 98Z5V

Most reloading manuals tend to be conservative - that said best accuracy is often found at less than max pressures.  They are also building their loads in a 26" barrel;ed bolt gun.  That has a big impact on final velocity.  They know that and try to list loads that are safe in all rifles.  I found out the hard way that gas guns are a different animal.  Slow burning powders attain their peak pressures later than faster burning powders and the pressure can be higher at the gas port than the system was designed to handle.  In my case I was shooting an M-1 Garand with a .308 barrel.  I loaded slow powders behind a Sierra 190 MKHP to get better down range ballistics in 1000 yards service rifle shooting.  Bad idea!  I started getting FTE's with the extractor ripping case heads off.  The bolt was trying to open before chamber pressures dropped enough.  Unless you have an adjustable gas port on the rifle you are loading for, you should stick closer to loads that perform closer to the design range of your rifle's gas system.

Sierra also lists the load with the higher velocity as the "Hunting Load".  The difference in accuracy between that and the "Accuracy Load" can be small.  Unfortunately they don't list the pressures they were getting with each given load.

Always start with the lowest load listed and work up.  Also it's a bad idea to reduce loads with ball powders (such as WW748) as they can detonate (a bad thing) if there is too much empty space in the case (I've never experienced this, but don't want too either!).  Stick to the recommended loads.

Yes sir I intend to start at the minimum load and work it up. Maybe research what people find to hit the spot on their semi auto. A lot of stuff online pertains bolt guns I'm coming to find out

Another question, what do you guys use to measure the weight of the case? I used a food scale and measured them in grams. Got mostly 12 grams some 10 and some 11. Should I be using the scale I use to measure my powder with? (Haven't purchased a digi yet).

Thanks again for the info HIGHLY appricated!!!!

Food scales are rarely very accurate - they don't need to be!  I use my powder scale and measure in grains - there are 7000 grains in a pound. I worry more about matching capacity than case weight when building loads.  Weigh the case when empty, then again when full of water and get the difference.  Small variances (within about 1%) in either seem to have little effect on accuracy or pressure.  Since I load for hunting these days rather than the absolute peak in accuracy, I rarely bother with either.  I start with once fired brass or new brass from the same lot, trim it all to minimum length, uniform the primer pocket depth, deburr the flash holes. (with new brass this lets me be sure there is a flash hole) and press on.  In .308, my brass is usually once fired Federal Match or Lake City Match left over from when I was competing.  The LC stuff has slightly less capacity and I get the same velocity and accuracy with Varget using .8gr less in them than the FM.

FYI - The Speer #14 manual (the latest one I have) indicates which powder are suitable for gas operated semi-auto match rifles (for their .30 Cal 168 gr match bullet.  Varget gives the highest velocities @ 2740 with 46 grains as the max charge listed. while 45 grains of RL-15 yields 2710 fps - again the max load listed.  Under their 180 grain loads (they don't list a 175) they show a max charge of RL-15 of 45.grains (compressed) giving 2613 fps.  They're using IMI brass which generally has the same capacity as USGI and a CCI-200 primer.

Use the same press, works great for the price. If you are using the scale that came with it, borrow a scale to make sure it is accurate. Mine was plus or minus 2 grains! That is just way too much. I went to a digital scale. And I have a lot more peace of mind.

Very good info, I wonder why some places skip info for the 175smk. I'm sure there's a reason. I'm just new to this. So far I've sorted what I manged to trim all weekend (not much)

By head stamp and weight. I'm going to purchase a digi scale and re weigh them though. I'll check if there is a pdf version of that speer14

Very good info, I wonder why some places skip info for the 175smk. I'm sure there's a reason. I'm just new to this. So far I've sorted what I manged to trim all weekend (not much)

By head stamp and weight. I'm going to purchase a digi scale and re weigh them though. I'll check if there is a pdf version of that speer14

Most bullet manufacturers only publish data for their bullets. Speer (as far as I know doesn't make a .30 cal 175 grain bullet.  I doubt there's a pdf version.  The paper book is about 1 1/4" thick.  

Hodgdon lists it on their reloading website, and so does handloads.com.  175 grain projos for the 308 Win cartridge.  You can also download the 2014 Alliant Reloader's Guide directly from their website, getting 308 Win RL15 powder charge weight, right there.  Watch it very, very closely - if you look at it, you'll see what I'm talking about.  Check that data closely, Ed, and go back and look at what I told you before, for a load.  Compare what you find with what I told you.  <thumbsup>

Hodgdon lists it on their reloading website, and so does handloads.com. 175 grain projos for the 308 Win cartridge. You can also download the 2014 Alliant Reloader's Guide directly from their website, getting 308 Win RL15 powder charge weight, right there. Watch it very, very closely - if you look at it, you'll see what I'm talking about. Check that data closely, Ed, and go back and look at what I told you before, for a load. Compare what you find with what I told you. <thumbsup>

will do thank you sir

They have two diffrent powders for the 175smk. After going through their Manual. Ar comp and power pro 2000mr

Went ahead and screen capped what you said for quick refrence. I think mentioned earlier th lc brass has less capacity correct. I also emailed Alliant about the 175 with rl15. I'll post what they respond

Edited by Cali_Ed