• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Creedmoor Cup In Phoenix

N Jensen

The Creedmoor Cup In Phoenix, three 800 point aggs over three days of shooting starting on Thursday. I'm taking my 6.5 cal there. Last year I had the LR Creedmoor rifle modified into a target rifle, Added aperture match sights, new hand guard that will work with an adjustable hand stop, A1 but stock to reduce the length of pull. Nice 2 stage trigger. I have 123g for short range 200 and 300 yds and 142g loaded long for the single fire stage at 600yds. I haven't shot a match in a year now, so I hope I do well.

I will post some pictures after I get there.

I shot the first day and was doing fairly well until 600yds, after jusr a few shots, the extractor broke. I couldn't finish the 600yd line. I was down 10 points goiing to 600yds, 193 standing, cleaned 2 RF and drop the other 3 at 300yds. Without the extractor, I was done shooting, but a few local shooters quickly gave me several ideas to find a replacement part. At POF here in Phoenix was happy to help me out, buying a few spares as well. They were super nice about the whole thing. So I still can shoot the next 2 days.

Here is a few photos. I will be here in town until Sat after the match then heading to Vegas.

Edited by N Jensen

My rifle worked just fine throughout the day. Although my scores were not as good for short range than the day before. Finaly decided that my eyes are not what they use to be and installed a diferent rear sight with a diopter to make the front sight look sharp again. With this change it really helped my 600 yd score a lot. I cleaned the stage with a 200-11X and was the 2nd highest score at 600. The high score was 200-14X. I assume he was shooting a bolt action gun.

I was the first to shoot on the target so I was able to get a picture of it. I pull back a few pasters to see where the holes were actually were at. The high 9 was my first sighter and after a elevation adj the 2nd sighter was in the X and didn't change the elevation after that. Out of the 20 rounds scored, only 4 of them were not within the 6 inch height of the xring. Considering I have 140 rounds fired before starting the 600yd match, the gun is shooting pretty good.

Being able to see better helped aim the rifle, but I also think the accuracy comes from the bolt mod I did by elminating the geas rings. By welding the slot up and machining it down to a .001 slip fit back into the carrier. The load was Creedmoor case, Win Mag primer, 142 MK, 41.0 g H4350. Bullet seated .015 off the lands. Will see how tomorrow goes, won't be able to post anything until I get to Vegas the next day.

Some more photos. And yes, I have spare extractors but will buy some more spares when I get home.

post-12934-0-27577900-1413592194_thumb.j

post-12934-0-39820500-1413592208_thumb.j

post-12934-0-87469400-1413592225_thumb.j

post-12934-0-74112500-1413592248_thumb.j

The match is over now, Team Remington did very well, the lady shooter on the Remington team with an AR-15 Service rifle shot the high score over the 3 day match wining the service rifle class as well. A shooter out of Ca won the match rifle class using Ar 15 based rifle. .

The photo of the red match rifle is a Tubb 2000, that can be one of the most complicated rifles to adjust if you want it to be. Sight radius extension tube of 6 inches, but stock for cant, up and down, and even sideways for standing, counter weights "to keep recoil bounce down), A timmer/stop watch on the side so you can see when you run out of time during the timed fire of rapid fire.. It was the most complicated rifle to adj and shoot. Most people with match rifles like myself try and keep the rifle fairly simple to use. I have an hand stop and adj apeatures, but I also need to fix it if it brakes again. 

It just shows that a bolt gun and with without practice (like myself as well) that a simple service rifle can be the best tool for the job.   .

post-12934-0-93411000-1413814609_thumb.j

post-12934-0-51617200-1413814685_thumb.j

post-12934-0-22216200-1413814803_thumb.j

sure would hate to spend a small fortune on a crazy rig like that and get beat by a chick with a service rifle :)

my mountain bike suspension has adjustments out the a$$. individual high and low speed dampening for rebound and compression, spring and air preloads, lockout thresholds for climbing efficiency...blah blah. I set that junk up one time and hardly mess with any of it.