• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Build/er

Ok guys I am all new to this, I just ordered my DMR trigger and lower parts kit.

My question is what is ging to be the best butt stock I can put on Ol'Betty?

I am looking for quality of course, but I do want a little comfort and something that is going to allow me to shoot well and at the same time take most of the shock.

Also if you know where to get your suggestion at the cheapest please dont hesitate to tell.

Much Thanks

Semperfi

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Magpul and VLTOR are at the top of most peoples lists.  If you figure out exactly which one you like, I could help you track one down at a good price.  I like the Magpul ACS for a colapsable and for a full length, I like the Magpul PRS, but there a several others out there  that are pretty good. Oh yes, I do have a SOPMOD also.

First, welcome to the forum!

I run a Magpul PRS on my big 24" DPMS, and I'm putting a Magpul ACS on my carbine POF.  The VLTOR IMod clubfoot is a very nice stock as well.

Now, I hate to ask, but are you truly Marine or ex-Marine?  I can't imagine a Marine mis-spelling Semper Fi, or putting it together like that either, maybe just a typo?  Or I'm not edumicated on something...??

Anyway, again, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the replys gents.

Madhouse thanks for pointing that mispelling out for me I do tend to get in a hurry and not proof read on the computer. I have been out for almost 5 years now, hence the name (6132). Also it is not uncommon at all for the "fi" to be joined with semper.

Let me look at these other butt stocks and see what I can find out.

OK, well s far I still like the PRS a lot more then the above mentioned. Now, what I do like about the above mentioned is the price....lol. Is the  VLTOR A5 Kit as adjustable as the Magpul PRS in a sence to achieve better check weld.

I am now looking at the VLTOR a little more, but the PRS is still at the top of my list. I feel like it is like anythng eather a total waste of money or worth every red cent. Give me some true opinions above the PRS.

The PRS is awesome for fine-tuning adjustability.  Shock absorption isn't what I would call it's strong suit though.  Although, there is a cool little stand for the bottom of the stock, for bench rest shooting.

What are you wanting to know specifically?  Also, I have some pictures in the DPMS pictures forum.

Ok, that looks good but I still like the idea of setting my cheek weld.

Do you guys know the best place to get a complete kit in the Magpul PRS, or does anyone on here have one for sale?

On another note I do like the ejection port covers but at the same time I want this rife to be without a charging handle because I do plan to do something in the lines of a scope. Where do I find a upper for the DPMS that will have the side cock.

Nice uppers at that site........looks like I will be getting one of those in the near future.

Does anyone have an upper like the one at American Spirit Arms? That is one of the cleanest looking side charging upper I have ever seen.

What are the down falls to side charging receivers other than they have to carry a specific carrier group?

Ok, that looks good but I still like the idea of setting my cheek weld.

Do you guys know the best place to get a complete kit in the Magpul PRS, or does anyone on here have one for sale?

On another note I do like the ejection port covers but at the same time I want this rife to be without a charging handle because I do plan to do something in the lines of a scope. Where do I find a upper for the DPMS that will have the side cock.

Depends on what type of scope you put on there . Some don't interfere with the standard AR type charging handle  & some do .

Fulton Armory is one manufacturer that make a side charging upper & components for it . There are others.

Stocks & cheek weld have a lot to do with the scope mount . I always get the stock type I want, than the scope . You can adjust minor , if not all scope heights for proper sighting with the rings or mount you put on .

Well as of now I am going to do just that. I am going to get the Magpul PRS for sure, and adjust properly when it comes time for the scope. This build is going to take me a little while as I am not a rich guy.

So right now I got my DPMS Lower, the Geissele DMR trigger and Fulton Lower parts Kit on the way. Next is the Magpul Stock and Grip( maybe not sure if I want the Grip yet ). Then will come the American Spirit side charging Upper and Carrier.

I wanted the Fluted SASS Barrel , but I am now thinking a 16-18 inch Bull Barrel.

What do you folks recommend on the Barrel? Is there any out there with a tighter then 1:10 twist? Do I get chrome lined?

Also how much Range would a 16-18 inch Bull Barrel give me accurately/effectively.

This is my one time build of a .308 so its kinda spear no experience. Now with that said I don't want something just cause it is high priced. I want durability, quality, accuracy. Also with this I do understand that some parts like the Upper that has to have a specific carrier, but I would also like to be able to have a wide range of options on the for arm s , gas blocks.

Yall bear with me, I don't know much of anything about this and I don't mind doing so research I just need pointed in the right direction. I will post pictures when I am done and give everyone the WOW factor.

Barrel twist rate is a matter of choice , what do you want to do with this type ,length barrel ? 1-10 is std & has been used for all sorts of 30 cal. rifles . they have 1-11.some thing , 1-12 is out there also . Most of the other than 1-10 are for heaver bullets & super long range or suppressor systems .

20",18",16" , well the longer barrel will give you more velocity for longer range , but don't count out the shorter barrels , they just lose some velocity at longer ranges .

Look up in General section , I believe , there is a thread on shorter barrels.

Imschur , just started a build thread in here some where , to help you build your rifle .

So a 1-12  going to give me a longer range then a 1-10?

Also what do I want to do with this..........hum good question. I would like to hit an Apple or Orange at 7-800 yds, but also have the ability to use in close combat situations if ever needed. That is why I want to stay around 16-18 inch barrel and all attachmentswill be in place with the QD mounts.

What is an HBAR Barrel? Is that the same as a BB?

I would like to hit an Apple or Orange at 7-800 yds,

That's some pretty amazing accuracy - both the rifle and the shooter would have to be up to that, in a big way.  I don't think there are many people that could put a 1st round shot out at that range and hit something that small.  Just sayin'...

HBAR, heavy barrel, AR.

What ever twist rate you choose , there will be a lot of factors the contribute to its down range accuracy.

The shooter .

How the rifle is put together, including what is used for the trigger system, barrel .

Ammo, including what bullet .

Optics, if you want to hit something that small out to the end of the 308 envelope.

If you intend to hit an apple @ 800 yrds. , you might be at that all day, just to do it . It can be done ,but a lot of things have to come together to accomplish it .

I think that , with a good barrel , ammo , trigger , & of course the shooter , any of the 16",18" 20 " or 24 " barrels will work .

What you have to think about is , if you are going for long range , well that will be a specifically built rifle for that purpose .

CQB is another specific built rifle . To get some thing between the two , you will have to make sacrifices. one way or the other .

A good scope for long range is going to be , BIG , not really a good thing for CQB.

If you are getting my meaning here.

LH1525.jpg

Well I get hat you are saying, and when I said the apples and oranges statement I think it was mistaken or maybe I made it sound wrong. When I first said that. What I meant was I want something that is going to be accurate, very accurate. The shooter is no problem ;D trust me on that!

So, I am thinking that a 18 inch barrel would have a nice effective range and also all CQB, also with the Optics and Iron sights all being placed on QD mounts it would have the best of both worlds.

Am I thinking wrong on this?

If so tell me cause I don't want to make a costly mistake, this is my first build.

I don't mind being the Grasshopper <lmao>

Who is going to be the Old Man Po  <thumbsup>

I think ASA is compatible.

American Spirit Arms

OK here is my update for the week. I have Bought the Geissele DMR trigger , Fulton Lower Kit, SI Defence Bolt Catch screws ( 2 in a pack ). By Saturday I will have the Side Charging American Spirit Arms Upper and BCG on order. I have also bought a Ruger P94 40 cal and a High Point 9mm C9.

Not bad for a week <thumbsup> Now my wife wants a new comfy rock to rock the baby <lmao>.