• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New Build/er

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to think the 7.62 NATO / .308 Win was the same situation as the 5.56 NATO / .223 Rem, where the NATO was the higher pressure round.  But, thanks to this forum, i was corrected.  The .308 Win has the higher pressure, so be sure to get a barrel rated as such.

Unless I still have it backwards...???

<munch>

With modern barrel materials & manufacturing , it makes no difference of what the difference in chamber pressures are .

The difference is in the chambers , with the 7.62x51 having a longer lead to the rifling .

The 308 chamber is considered by some as a match chamber .

You can shoot one or the other in ether chamber with modern rifles or barrels ,with out problems.

One may shoot a particular round of ammunition better than the other ,but I see no difference, I will shoot 308 in a 7.62 chamber or 7.62 in a 308 chamber.

We are talking about 308 AR's, The match ammo most are shooting , do you think is 7.62 or 308 .

I think most of your AR 308 barrels are chambered in 308 any way ,unless you specifically ask for the 7.62 chamber dimensions.

Now when you get into .223/5.56 things are a little different .

Man you are great.

Thanks for leading me that way. I think that is the one, and they make from what I have seen a good product at a very competitive price. I have to get a Roll Pin Punch set some Drifts and a nice hammer with changeable heads. I am sure I will find more to get.

After I got into the parts kit and the trigger , I found all I need for the lower was a Rubber Hammer, a Flathead Screwdrive, and a Center Punch. I really thought it was going to be much harder then it was, and now I am sure I can assemble a lower in 15-20 minutes. <thumbsup>

I much as I want to go with the PRS stock I think it is a little pricey and it may be something I add later.

With that said I am going to get the ACS and I need to know if this kit will work as a great kit for the ACS

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=5735&cat=1793

No it wont, wrong buffer and spring,

even states the fact on the page NOT FOR LR308 RIFLES

Go to Brownels. They have all that you need. You can use the carbine buffer on any 308 AR, you just need the 308 specific spring and buffer for either the carbine or rifle length buffer tube.

I would stick to a 308 carbine buffer & spring,with a collapsible receiver extension or a 308 rifle buffer & spring with rifle receiver extention.

Also milspec & commercial receiver extensions have different out side tube dimensions.

I would stick to a 308 carbine buffer & spring,with a collapsible receiver extension or a 308 rifle buffer & spring with rifle receiver extention.

Also milspec & commercial receiver extensions have different out side tube dimensions.

Its to my understanding that the tubes themselves are all the same size ( Diameter ) the only difference in the two are the Mil-specs  threaded portion ( the threads are raised slightly higher then a Commercial Buffer tube.

imschur that is a good deal for sure , and I may consider it. Like I said, the first one will be temporary until I decide what I really want on it. So that may be the best way to go, and I can always use it on a 6.8 build <thumbsup>.

No the tubes are a different diameter. Identification is easy. The mil spec tube outside diameter measures 1.140" and the commercial tube outside diameter measures 1.170"

Its to my understanding that the tubes themselves are all the same size ( Diameter ) the only difference in the two are the Mil-specs  threaded portion ( the threads are raised slightly higher then a Commercial Buffer tube.

imschur that is a good deal for sure , and I may consider it. Like I said, the first one will be temporary until I decide what I really want on it. So that may be the best way to go, and I can always use it on a 6.8 build <thumbsup> .

OK so I went ahead and bought the Magpul ACS stock, but I am having trouble finding the mil spec collapsible extension tube, car buffer and spring at a decent price.

Who can point me in that direction??

I found he Tube and spring , but every carb buffer seems to be out of stock. Should I get the hydro carb buffer?

Ok well I just got the parts ordered, but I over paid 41 bucks. PK has the best deal on Complete Stock kits commercial and mil spec.

I truely hate to wait..........its like the parts cant get here quick enough.

Anyone else feel that way  :( :'(

Your doing it wrong. The trick is to have multiple projects going with tons of stuff either on order or back order. That way you forget what you have coming and its like xmas every few days.

Your doing it wrong. The trick is to have multiple projects going with tons of stuff either on order or back order. That way you forget what you have coming and its like xmas every few days.

^^^    <lmao> <laughs>

"affliction" - that's what that is...  :o ;D