• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Need help with my first build (308)

BigH888

Guys I'm new to this but I recently purchased the lower, in the picture below, from a friend.  I need help with what jig to use with this lower and what anyone thinks it would be compatible with.

I found and identical lower made by Red X arms but I can't get any info from those guys.  Probably because I'm not purchasing one of their completed lowers.

Any help would be appreciated.

post-15262-0-77236000-1414516374_thumb.j

@ Washguy - Everyone has got to have a dream. I love guns and I will build this lower with or without your help.  I was just hope it would be with your help.

@ EasyEJL- How /where could I get some dimensions to say verify which uppers it is compatible with?  Thanks for your input so far.  It's tough being new to building but I'm determined.

well, what Wash was saying is that building a 308 AR and having it work the first time you pull the trigger with no issues is hard enough with buying a stripped lower that is complete, so doing the first one as an 80% just makes it a lot harder to figure out the initial issues. Unlike the AR15, there isn't a perfect mil spec standard for these, so there are variances manufacturer to manufacturer.

So far as uppers, any upper that fits the DPMS LR308 pattern should work, excepting possibly palmetto state armory's (PSA). their 308 AR stuff looks to be a mess so far. The standard DPMS upper is available pretty cheap, I've seen it below $100 lately. i'm assuming you'll want to assemble the upper yourself.

Yes I will definitely want to build this gun myself from the ground up.  My question is how do I tell if its DMPS compatible or AR-10 (Armalite) compatible?

Yours is LR308 pattern. You can tell by the rear of the upper receiver cut. Yours is curved instead of straight at an angle like AR-10 and SR-25 pattern receivers.

@ Washguy - Everyone has got to have a dream. I love guns and I will build this lower with or without your help.  I was just hope it would be with your help.

Big I didnt say I wouldnt help....I just asked you a simple question...as to why?

now I know.......and no help from me....cause ive never machined an 80% lower....I dont have a cnc machine....do you? :) Wash

Big H, are you 100% that it is a 308AR lower? I ask because I just can't tell the scale of it AND it looks exactly like a Seekins Precision SP223 (AR-15) lower to me. I've never seen a scaled up to 308AR version of that Seekins lower but it could exist. Seekins does make lowers for other company's , possibly even Red X and I think that I remember the "Silverback" mentioning something about Seekins making a prototype receiver for Spikes Tactical. If I were in your shoes I'd take several good pictures of your lower (with measurements) and email them to Seekins Precision.

Here's a picture of the Seekins Precision SP223.

sales@seekinsprecision.com

post-12582-0-78634600-1414539945_thumb.p

Big H, are you 100% that it is a 308AR lower? I ask because I just can't tell the scale of it AND it looks exactly like a Seekins Precision SP223 (AR-15) lower to me. I've never seen a scaled up to 308AR version of that Seekins lower but it could exist. Seekins does make lowers for other company's , possibly even Red X and I think that I remember the "Silverback" mentioning something about Seekins making a prototype receiver for Spikes Tactical. If I were in your shoes I'd take several good pictures of your lower (with measurements) and email them to Seekins Precision.

Here's a picture of the Seekins Precision SP223.

sales@seekinsprecision.com

That's very clearly a .308 AR receiver. Look how long the rear of the receiver extends behind the pistol grip area and how long the magazine well is compared to the trigger area.

Edited by FaRKle!