• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

FNG in Missouri........

tslave

Boy you guys are either going to have fun with me or hate me with a passion.  When I say FNG, I mean it.  I've been into handguns for the last 6 or 7 years.  I have NEVER been a rifle guy and I've only pulled the trigger on a 30-06 a few times growing up but I've been looking at getting into it.  I really mean this when I say I'm a FNG.  I cant stress this enough.  So please have some patience with me because I'm going to have a lot of questions that most of you will consider stupid.  So here goes....

I just got a Bushmaster LR-308.  I don't know anything about it.  I was in the right place at the right time and ended up buying it off of an old man (at least 80's, more than likely 90's).  He has 1 foot in the grave and all 3 of his kids were already labeling all of his stuff.  They were all fighting over this rifle so he decided he was going to get rid of it.  I happened to be around and heard the story and asked him what he wanted for it.  $500.  It is technically used, but it's never been fired.  I don't know what year he bought it so I don't know what year the rifle is.  It says it's a .308 on the lower but the small book it comes with says it's 7.62 so I don't know which it is.  I've read that you can shoot one in the other but not to shoot one in the other.  How do I know which? 

Also, I've read so much stuff on break in.  What is a straight forward good approach to go about it on this rifle?  What rounds should I use for this in this rifle?  Some say do this with chrome and don't do this and so on and so on. 

What's a good beginner scope to start out with?  Brands?  Again, I'm sorry if this has been talked about 4,000 times before but everything I search for comes back with 4,000 different answers.

Cleaning.  I usually use bore snakes for my benelli and all of my hand guns.  Good to use with this or is it a bad idea?  I've always used Hoppes solvent and oil.  Ok to use with these? 

Ok.  I figure I've made my first post longer than it should be and I guess this is a good start on questions for me.  I'm sure I'm going to have more and more as I go along.  With all the snow on the ground I'm not going to get to shoot anytime soon so I want to make sure I've got it all set up for when the weather gets better. 

Thanks in advance guys.......well, I think.  For all I know you guys hate me already. 

Welcome to the site! I think you'll find two outstanding qualities from the people here at the forums right off the bat: 1. They are very knowledgeable. 2. They are completely unpretentious.

This is just two of many reasons I'm positive you'll enjoy your stay here.

If you want, you or a moderator can seperate your questions into the appropriate forums where all the fine members here will do their best to answer them as accurately as possible.

Have fun and ask all the questions you want!

Thanks fella.  I'm kind of new to this whole forum thing too.  Just figured it would be best to put it in my intro post.  I've never really been into posting on forum's, just reading for the most part and most of that is with some of my other toys not firearm related. Problem with this one is, I can't find a lot of stuff online about this rifle.  Don't know if it's junk or if it's newer or what.  I get that Bushmaster is owned by the same company as DPMS and that they are pretty much the same gun, I'm just not getting why I can't find much on the Bushmaster. 

It says it's a .308 on the lower but the small book it comes with says it's 7.62 so I don't know which it is.  I've read that you can shoot one in the other but not to shoot one in the other.  How do I know which? 

Read this one:

http://308ar.com/forum/index.php/topic,401.msg2699.html#msg2699

Also, I've read so much stuff on break in.  What is a straight forward good approach to go about it on this rifle?  What rounds should I use for this in this rifle?  Some say do this with chrome and don't do this and so on and so on.

Info:

http://308ar.com/forum/index.php/topic,54.msg193.html#msg193

http://308ar.com/forum/index.php/topic,943.msg6323.html#msg6323

http://308ar.com/forum/index.php/topic,275.msg1557.html#msg1557

What's a good beginner scope to start out with?

Tough one to answer, honestly.  research is the best bet, and here's the section to read up on:

http://308ar.com/forum/index.php/board,13.0.html

Cleaning.

Info on cleaning:

http://308ar.com/forum/index.php/board,43.0.html

Welcome aboard, man.  Ask away, someone will jump in and help - not always right away, but usually within a few days.  There's typically somebody here that knows almost every aspect about any possible topic, often from experience, and it's not just one person.  The collective experience is pretty vast.  Everybody here works together quite well.  <thumbsup>

Some quick answers:  308 Win has higher pressures than the military 7.62x51.  Use military ammo in a 308 Win but maybe not 308 Win in a military chambered rifle.  Check out use of FMJ at your range;  my range forbids any FMJ rifle ammo.

Scope:  3-9 or 4-12 x about 40?  See what MidwayUSA has on sale.  My DPMS is wearing a Nikon 6-18x40 with Mildot reticule because I had recently talked with the Nikon reps at a gun/outdoor show and this scope was on sale at MidwayUSA.  I do not like the BDC stuff because I prefer my own handloads and the BDC has too much busywork in there for me.  Tip-off scope mounts,  low;  the rear bell of the scope barely clears the rail.

Iron sights:  I have backup flip-up Chinese-made iron sights.  The front one is flipped down and torqued in place.  The rear one is available if needed. 

There are no rules.  I used Forstner bits in a hand drill to modify a Limbsaver recoil pad (mounting holes and air pressure relief) (added a 1/2 inch to length of pull.  Feels better to me) because I personally see no reason to put up with recoil.  I have a (Brownell's) CAA grip that fits my hand just right.  Replaced the trigger,  that is all posted somewhere here :).  The rest of my rifle is all factory original.

I shoot off sandbags at my range.  I have a Bog Pod shooting stick (6 inches up to about 2 1/2 feet (?),  can be easily set for one or two legs or tripod-  it was on sale. .  . ) if ever needed.

Build a second upper for a different barrel or whatever reason.  Have fun with your rifle!  If I may borrow part of the motto of PredatorXtreme:  Shoot Straight,  Apologize To No One!