• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

W-II Winchester heat shield / bayonet Adapter M1917 ?

N Jensen

I have this heat shield for a M10 or 1897 shotgun. It is a 4 row 19 hole heat shield, small/short steel front sight. There is no markings on it and appears to be original finish. The inside area is smooth to slip over the shotgun barrel, the screws holes are low enough to not touch the bottom of the barrel.

From what I saw on line it might be a late WW II part from Winchester for shotguns for the war. This was in my fathers gun collection. But I have no idea exactly what it maybe original or reproduction.

Can anyone tell me what I have?

Thanks Neil

post-12934-0-97305500-1415292227_thumb.j

post-12934-0-99082500-1415292244_thumb.j

post-12934-0-81712700-1415292252_thumb.j

post-12934-0-27168000-1415292260_thumb.j

I read the thread you found and took some pictures of the area mentioned in it. I do see some milling machine marks, what do you think?

I wanted to find out what I had original or not. It would depend if I bought any old shotgun and cut the barrel down or try and find an original trench shotgun. They cost a lot more but might be worth the trouble. 

post-12934-0-53667500-1415365893_thumb.j

post-12934-0-06619400-1415365900_thumb.j

Edited by N Jensen

Just spoke with my old man. He says it should at the very least have the "US" stamp. Possibly the ordinance stamp as well, but he thinks only the barrel and receiver had those stamps

The Chinese have been masters at counterfeiting.  They took their crappy M14 magazines and now they are VERY hard to tell from original GI...nearly identical proofs and stamps.  For a bit there you could only tell by how many tack welds and where.  They seem to have that pretty well figured out now.

The one I have, the screws are not located high enough up to slide through a slot on the bottom side of the barrel. The adapter just slides over the barrel and the 3 screws are tighten down providing enough grip to stay in place without groves on the lower side of the barrel.

I tend to think it's original late WW II production. The heat shield is not the same finish, and the machine marks on the bottom of the lug and face of the round face is still visible. The front sight is a steal and not brass and is very short.

But seeing a picture of an original in a book is what I hope to find. The next gun show in my area is not until Dec or Jan at the earliest.  

So, still looking for a good answer.