• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

front sight for the ORC

ryantowry_81

This might be a stupid question but i know bush master used to sell a yankee hill clamp on front sight for the gas block style on the ORC (#YHM 9320 i believe) but i cant find it any more, was it discontinued?

anyone have a alternatice to add iron sights to the ORC? I really dont want to spend the $$$ for a full float tube and rail, just looking for a clamp on front sight or maybe a standard A2 stye front gas block with the sight.

I found this on YHM site:

http://yhm.net/front-flip-sight-tower-standard.html

looks like it could function the same as the one bushmaster used to sell. any one have any experience with this?

and i know i have a ORC and trying to put iron sights on it is kinda backwards but i was looking to change direction than the origional intent and play with her with some iron sights for a while.

here is a pic of my ORC with MOE setup how it is now with the nikon monarch 3-12x42:

photo7.jpg

Or...if you get really lucky and find one of these out-of-production Bushmaster BMAS front sights designed to specifically clamp over the butchered gas block on the Bushmaster ORC. 

I believe YHM made these for bushmaster. P/N YHM-9360K

acu_F1009416.png

Oh wait.... OP already mentioned this. My bad for falling into the TL:DR trap.

Edited by shibiwan

thanks for all the responses guys.

I know i am probably going to have to change out the gas block since YHM discontinued the YHM-9360K unless anyone has found an alternative?

any one have experience with the YHM-9394 i linked above? just curious to how well it holds zero after folding. found the same one on bravocompany for cheaper than Yankee hills site:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Yankee-Hill-Machine-yhm-Front-Flip-Sight-Tower-p/yhm-9394%20flip%20sight%20tower.htm

I really was trying to stay away from the regular railed gas block and clamp on flip up sight due to the extra weight and i have never liked how they look.  I know that sounds like a wierd criteria but being an engineer things that are excessively loaded or overly module bug me so i have never really been big into the quad rail hand gaurd, million attachment kind of rifles.

any opinions as to a clamp on gas block vs a pinned one?

You gotta ask yourself - is the sight going to be a backup sight or will you be using it as a primary sight. If it is a backup, a fold-down type will work nicely. Of course there is a miniscule amount of slop if it's a fold down type but it's not so much to worry about.

Clamp on gas blocks are fine but I persoally recommend setscrew style gas blocks. As for pinned gas blocks, I'd stay away from them if you're going with aftermarket parts since they are a PITA to work on.

well being an engineer i want to have my cake and eat it too. i would ideally like a flip up sight system that is free of any variance in the zero once set. i know this is not really practicle and seeing as this is a carbine the gun itself is not perfectly accurate so i guess the true question is is the front flip up accurate enough to place say 1.5 moa groups on a 1 moa gun?

not saying i know my rifle to be 1 moa as i have not really ever measured a grouping but my feel from my past experience with the rifle is that it is probably between 1 and 1.5 MOA and i would like to achieve this type of accuracy with the iron sights.

my plan is to remove the scope and use the sights stand alone for now but would, in the future, like to use the same sights as a backup with a scope mounted to a accurate quick release mount. that plan is just out of my price range at the moment.

Check the AR10 section for a thread on YHM gas block adapters as a possible alternative for low profile gas blocks.I just installed one on my AR10 T carbine. Havent used it yet however. Oops! Just looked at the picture won't work.

Edited by Sisco

• 1 month later...

Or...if you get really lucky and find one of these out-of-production Bushmaster BMAS front sights designed to specifically clamp over the butchered gas block on the Bushmaster ORC.

I believe YHM made these for bushmaster. P/N YHM-9360K

acu_F1009416.png

Oh wait.... OP already mentioned this. My bad for falling into the TL:DR trap.

relevant necropost.....id never seen these sights before until this post, and thought they were cool. l have the 14" PRI tube on my 308 and its designed for dpms high while I have DPMS low. not a huge deal, but it leaves a 1/16" difference for mounting irons. I thought this could be a solution, but as noted, they are hard to find. on a random Ebay search last night I found a guy selling them for $15 shipped so I bought 2. he says they are legit. he bumped the price up to $20, but still seems like a good deal for a part that might come in handy down the road. just thought someone else might be interested.

http://m.ebay.com/itm?itemId=261751470027

Edited by blue109