• Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

300 Blackout Brass

NTXshooter

• 2 weeks later...

Their 203gr projo seems interesting.

sorry guys, been away for awhile. Regarding BlackoutBrass, seach the 300blktalk forums - not everyone thinks very highly of them. Seems they had some startup issues and some claim they never got their orders or refund. Plus BBB in their area has a bad rating on them.

That said, I took a chance on the bullets as I was looking for a cheap alternative for sub plinking. I had no problems with the order, got everything, even got a phone call from the guy. They were uniform in size and weight, at least within a few grains - I think they ranged from 201 to 204? And the diameter was very consistent @ .309.

And then the fun began. They have to be loaded SHORT (2.008) and I know a lot of people were having issues, me included. I about gave up, then thought I had found why I was having issues ( could not get loads to go into batery with 100% reliabilty) and just last week I loaded 3 mags full and on shot #3 I had the same issue. And in the threads on 300blktlk the guy has a bad attitude - 'I'm just tired of spending my time trying to help people get up and running who have CRAP CMMG barrels with their CRAP not to spec chambers' - and for the record, I never said I had a CMMG barrel, which I don't.

Between my issues with them going into battery, his attitude and everything I've been thru with these, I'm done with them. I have been getting the Nosler 190g CC 2nds for $.17 a bullet so that's cheap enough for me.. If anyone wants to try the 203g Palmetto Bullets (sold thru BlackOutBrass) I have a deal for you.

Edited by SwissyJim

I was about to place an order from them, decided to add a set of Lee dies to the order and it doubled the shipping to $17.

Long story short, I found some on Amazon I'm going to try.

This is on BlackoutBrass.com at the bottom of there product descriptions

NOTE. IF YOU HAVE A CMMG BARREL WE WILL NOT HELP YOU IN ANY WAY. IF YOUR BARREL IS CUT TO 300 BLACKOUT SPECIFICATIONS THESE WILL WORK FINE. SOME CMMG BARRELS ARE NOT. IF LOADED ROUNDS WILL CHAMBER IN A SHERIDAN ENGINEERING CASE GAUGE BUT WILL NOT CHAMBER IN YOUR CMMG BARREL--YOUR BARREL'S CHAMBER IS NOT TO SPEC. THAT'S A PROBLEM FOR CMMG'S CUSTOMER SERVICE AND NOT OURS.

On a side note, what powders are you guys using? I'm going shopping soon and hoping to get a powder that will work for both supersonic and subsonic.

Edited by .308LiteHunter

Ordered the brass last week.  I received an order confirmation but have yet to get any shipping information.  Thanks for the information on the bullets, I guess I was smart to only order the brass.  We'll see.

Unfortunately, the range I normally go to does not allow FMJ.  So I shoot steel case there.  I don't have a stockpile of brass.  I figured at 18 cents a piece, it was worth a try. 

It's SUPER easy to make your own brass, if anyone wants to. 223 brass can be had on the cheap (or picked up at your range) and with a small saw and jig, it's fast. I followed a thread on 300blktalk and go the Harbor Freight saw, one of the jigs a guy was selling, and I've never bought a 300blk case yet. All it takes is your time.

And seriously, if anyone wants to try the 203g projectiles, I have just short of 1500 of them (buddy talked me into a big batch, then when I started having issues he bailed!). If you pay the shipping, I'll send you 25 or so to test. If they work for you, then I'll make a deal on the rest.

On a side note, what powders are you guys using? I'm going shopping soon and hoping to get a powder that will work for both supersonic and subsonic.

I use H110 for my supers, and A1680 for my subs. I know guys are using H110 for both, but there are warnings about loading H110 that low or so they say. I also found A5744 to be good for subs, and LilGun good for supers.

I've been using IMR 4227 for both and it's working really well for me. 4227 seems to be more available than a lot of the other 300 BLK powders too.

Edited by 392heminut

Jim, 16.1 grains of H110 under a Hornady 150gr FMJBT is a great combo (cut down LC brass).  I'm just sayin'...  <thumbsup>

oh yeah...   load 'em by the bushel! I bought one of the 2100 bulk packs :banana: My 300BLK is my new favorite pewpew machine. Altho I do admit I load and shoot way more subsonic loads. Something about shooting suppressed that tickles my fun bone more than anything

Edited by SwissyJim

finally found ONE pound of 4227, and the holy grail, 2 pounds of Titegroup! Finally can get some more 9mm loaded. And at least I can do some test loads with the 4227 and be ready with working loads in case I find more - done that with 4198, LilGun, Reoader7 and a couple of others. I have WAY more loads tested than I actually have powder for anymore. But I'll be ready for when powderis on the shelves daily again (if ever?)

• 2 weeks later...