• Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My DPMS AR-308K build (Long)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mostly swab it out to make sure no Lubricant is getting into the Chamber from being run very wet .Lubricant in the Chamber can lock up the Cartridge Brass and Bolt in the Barrel Extension , may need to Mortar the Action to get it free . I install only Match Barrels that have been hand Lapped , so the only break in I do is shoot to break in the Action components . 

There are plenty of videos & methods on line on how to break in a Barrel , I think there are some on this Forum also , some where . With 300 rounds , I would say you are past break in for the barrel . Inconsistent grouping can be a lot of things ,Copper Fouled Barrel ,some Barrel/Chambers only like certain Bullet /loads combos , hard to say , you have to experiment .

I wouldn't worry about the feed ramps , it should feed fine , The thing about M4 feed ramps , like on AR 15's , is if the upper has them & the Barrel Extension doesn't , that can cause feeding issues . The way yours is , the Barrel Extension has M4 type feed ramps , but the Upper Receiver doesn't . When I have them like that , I just match the feed ramps up for smoother feeding .

Clean the Chamber as you think it needs it , some clean after every shooting  session & some like me, do it when i get around to it , could be fifty rounds or five hundred , its up to you & how you feel about it , but I alway inspect the Action , before & after every range trip .

Went to the range today to shoot in a Cowboy silhouette match... Had the LGS take a look at the LR308.  Showed him the spent case and looks like I'll be taking in the barrel for some refinish work:

20150808_124930.jpg?date=2015-08-15%2005

20150808_132937.jpg?date=2015-08-15%2005

Basically he said he needs to check out the chamber with his bore scope... If it is possible to polish it out he will.  So I figure if it is salvageable, I will have detents for my AGB put in and was thinking about either removing the threads and just have a target crown put in... thought about the crown?