• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My DPMS AR-308K build (Long)

Greetings all,

I just wanted to say, since I was able to get over the hump of a 3rd round feed and jam problem, I am mega happy that this thing is actually functioning now... only time will tell how accurate this SS match barrel will be.  I guess to help all others out, I will briefly give my testimonial.  Back in late 2013 I had won an auction on a DPMS LR 308 stripped lower reciever.  With much restraint and not to mention lack of funds I patiently waited for money to free up for this build.  At the end of 2014, November to be exact, I was able to score on a HBAR build from a Wyoming builder and so was able to complete the build of this fine 308 AR Variant.  My intention for this build was to shoot sub MOA... So my reasoning for the 20" 308 1:10 Match Barrel and for a good price IMO...  It was not a Shillen or White Oak barrel, but for the price, I am OK with it.  I also purchased a carbonite BCG from the same builder.  I had heard about NB BCGs, but not carbonite.  With a quick google/youtube search, I made the decision to just go for it.  I recieved it, and I really didn't want a chrome colored BCG as I had wanted to do an all out black AR, but since the barrel was SS anyway, I figured I'm already on this path, might as well.  The carbonite BCG is super slick without oil and even more so with slip 2000.  So the ultimate goal for this build is to have the rifle outshoot my friends $1800 Mil-Spec Armalite AR10. Shouldn't be unreasonable to do that and be less expensive in the process.

Well, I had everything put together with stock and scope 2 weeks ago.  I had shot it soon after... long story short, I only made it through 3 rounds before having to quit because the spent case was lodged in the chamber and would not come out regardless of how hard I would pull on the charging handle.  Don't worry, I knew the round was spent because I say the bullet impact on the 50 yard paper target.  While still at the range, I decided to take apart the rifle, first the PRS stock, then the buffer tube.  I had to lightly tap the back side of the BCG to push it all the way forward.  When I was able to pull the lower from the upper, I still was not able to remove the spent case.  It was only when I had put a cleaning rod down the front of the barrel and lightly tap on it and while my father in-law was pulling on the charging handle would the case pop out.

So my frustration and concerns ate at me all week.  I am also a college student studying for my BSIT degree, so suffice it to say, I was not a very focused student in my studies... only on the gun.  When I immediately got home from the club, I emailed the builder/seller.  After all he had stated he gaurantees his work and parts for up to a year.

"I check headspace and test fire at least five rounds through all my uppers to insure function.... All my uppers carry a one year warranty and if a problem is due to materials or workmanship I will cover all related shipping costs..."

So anyway, this builder, his name is Tom, is legit as he responded to my email quickly (about an hour or so) trying to address my concern.  If you do buy from him, he seems like a nice guy.  Anyway, after some troubleshooting, I had accepted that maybe this issue was the old surplus ammo I had from back in 2000ish purchased from the local annual gun show here in NM.  To confirm this, I had stopped by BMC Tactical here in the 505 and showed it to the armorer who has over 20 years experience building ARs... That is what he specializes in, I am not sure if he does anything else, but that is cool and I respect that.  I had a couple of things he told me:

1. The rifle was dry, it needs to be wet.  I thought my carbonite barrel was slick enough, apparently not.  I hate oily guns... must be my bolt action preference
  2. He recommended slip 2000... never heard of it obviously.  At this point I was willing to try it.  He didn't like CLP as it attracts carbon deposits.  OK I guess.
  3. I had a match barrel... the 7.62x51 old mil surplus ammo was not a match... I have to find the ammo this chamber likes.  I already had intentions to shoot some newer factory ammo.
  4. The rifle length stock (PRS), actually buffer may be too heavy and long for it.  He was guessing at that point just by looking at it.

The Good...

I shot new ammo yesterday and was able to fire 22 rounds without any issues, and hopefully more today when I get to the club.  I am using some Remington UMC 40 round pack 150gr...  I also pickd up some 7.62x51 Aguilla factory loads and I have some PPU match grade from Serbia coming in that I ordered from Sportsmans Guide to finish off the BBI before I shoot baseline groups with Hornady, Sako and Federal match 168GR.  I WILL eventually load my own 168GR to shoot out of it.

I don't know if my experience will help anyone, if anything this will be a reminder to myself. 

20150107_182850.jpg

If you have made it down this far, I wanted to know if it is possible to change out the handguard to a rail system one instead of the one that is on it now?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks all for the kinds words.

Sounds like the BCM tech (I'm assuming BCM = Bravo Company??) set you straight. Glad things worked out for you. After you have 100-200 rounds of decent ammo through your rifle, things should be worn in enough to play with some cheaper NATO/Surplus stuff.

It was actually BMC Tactical

Today I was able to pop off another 20 rounds, not quite as much as I would have liked to.  However I was able to hit the gong at 200 yards everytime I aimed at it, a couple of times unsupported offhand.  My guests who wanted to shoot it were able to hit the gong too... I am pretty happy so far. 

At this point I just don't know what size the group will be at this point.

For the handguard, will pretty much any 308 handguard work or do I need to select one for this upper?

Regards,

Mark

I should be practicing my .22lr for the local silhouette matches, but I am having fun with this rifle.  I am looking forward to getting a nicer bipod (a little more HD), a higher power scope like variable 24X and of course changing out the handguard.

I just picked up Hornady Match 168GR to reload... box of 500 for $130 at Sportsman's Warehouse... A little more than I wanted to spend today, but at 0.27 cents a bullet, I couldn't resist.

^^^  Those projos are a good deal - and they're stocking the 500-box regularly now.  Liking that.  <thumbsup>

Here's a bipod that will get the job done for you...

http://www.gggaz.com/heavy-duty-xds-swivel-bipod.html

Heavy-Duty-XDS-Bipod-9-11.jpg

I have this very bipod and will vouch that it is excellent kit, you'd be hard pressed to find a better bipod for the money.

Another "+1" for the GG&G bipod (I use an XDS-2 QD). Funny, how I was just telling Robo that I got an Atlas in today and I'm super unimpressed compared to the GG&G I already had (much slower to deploy, some rough edges that really cut into your fingers, less ergonomic, and the pan and tilt aren't very functional due to too much resistance).

Edited by FaRKle!

From another New Mexican, welcome to the board kd5! <thumbsup>

Thank you!

Well, still researching brass catcher.  Looking at getting this:  3 Bucc Inc 308 Brass Catcher Flat Top  anyone using this?

On another note, I am thinking about getting this Handguard and it appears to be complete with everything I need... Just not sure how sturdy it is... JP Enterprise DPMS AR 308 15" Handguard.

Journal update for today.  A few things to note.  I tested a 12" x 1/2" AR500 Gong out to 200 Yards this afternoon.  My friend shot his 7.62x54R Mosin Nagant.  That was the hotest shooting rifle at the range today with FMJ and the gong stood the test with no problems.  With that noted, the gong handled .223, .260 and .308 ammo with NO Prob's, only paint coming off the target, from both side.  The gong itself felt smoothe to the touch. 

Vortext Viper HS Scope issue today, a strange one for sure.  When re-sighting in the scope because I changed the rings to Warren split rings, I had to move the reticle to the left based on impact of the bullet.  Well, I am sitting there turning the turret to the direction to make it go left and no movement from the scope at all.  I had to turn the turret the direction of the right a few and then turn it back to the left and the reticle moved to where I needed it.  Suffice to say, this does not make me feel comfortable about the scope.  I might have to call Vortex to see what their response will be.

So onto my 40 rounds for the day on my DPMS LR308K build.  I have to say I am one Happy :banana: .  9 of 10 rounds hit the 200 yard 12" target no problem, on the other 24"x24" steel square, I was hitting all 10 shots with no issues.  Groups were not as tight I would like for it to be, but it is definitely enough to hit center mass of man or animal.  The one that did not hit probably was bad ammo as it hit the berm kinda low from the bench.  It could have been me, but I was holding high of the target in the scope and the bullet did impact on the top of the berm, which is 100 yards in front of the gong.  Some time this week I will be shooting for groups to baseline before the Geissele DMR trigger upgrade... <thumbsup>.  I will be shooting out to 100 yards with the same PPU Match 308 168 GR.  The other more expensive ammo will be baselined with the Geissele DMR trigger installed as well.  While I am thinking about it, I should shoot 10 rounds at 100 yards to see how the rifle shoots with this set-screw modified trigger breaking at 6.57lbs avg.

Had a good day with the LR308K.

You could be binding the scope in some way . Are the Warne rings you have, have the split vertically ? I would remount & make sure they are torqued to the Manufacturers spec's & alternate the tightening sequence & tighten in steps of different torque setting till you reach the torque spec. Of all the scope rings I have installed , the Warne is the trickiest to assemble , but are solid rings . I have them on several scopes .

Could also be a problem with the scope , e-mail or call Vortex & see what they have to say . 

Yep, I called Vortex and they are calling over torq on the Warne rings... Crap... I hope it's not damaged.  I did loosen up the rings on the top, but kept the base screws at 25 in/lbs... I am still seeing minimal reticle movement... then I loosened all screws for the base and top of the ring, then cross tightened them to 15 in/lbs.  I am scheduled to go to the range tomorrow after work to see if there is any improvement on the reticle movement.  If no go, I will get it repaired... :-[

On another note, is there anyone here using the SWFA SS 20x42 Tactical Sniper scope?  I have been eyeing this scope for some time, but do not know if the $300 price tag would be best bang for buck on this scope.

Hey washguy,

that is the PPU 168 Match, right?  I am shooting that now.  I have been for the last week.  Then I will soon be shooting reloads.  and... yes, it is pretty good ammo. 

I got mine from Sportsmans Guide.  I am debating on getting more, but I have about 100 168GR Hordady to reload soon.