• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Commercial to MilSpec

madmike26120

I have a DPMS Sportical LR 308.It has the 16" barrel and so far Ive gotten a trigger job from B.Springfield.I want to convert the Commercial Buffer  to Mil Spec and also find a replacement telescoping stock with a small cheekweld pad.I would also like someone to suggest a Muzzle Brake  as well as a recoil dampening buffer and spring.Are there any special steps that need to be taken to either replace the Buffer and Muzzle brake.Thanks

I have a DPMS Sportical LR 308.It has the 16" barrel and so far Ive gotten a trigger job from B.Springfield.I want to convert the Commercial Buffer  to Mil Spec and also find a replacement telescoping stock with a small cheekweld pad.I would also like someone to suggest a Muzzle Brake  as well as a recoil dampening buffer and spring.Are there any special steps that need to be taken to either replace the Buffer and Muzzle brake.Thanks

Do you mean you want to convert to a Mil-Spec buffer tube? Go with either a Chrome Silicon flat wound spring, or an Armalite spring. Check out heavybuffers.com for your buffer needs.

Sounds like you'll want to convert over to an AR-10 pattern buffer system.

Parts you'll need:

-VLTOR A5 or BCM Intermediate receiver extension

-H3 AR-15 buffer

-Armalite AR-10 spring (part #EA1095)

You can reuse your castle nut and end plate.

That should smooth out and tame your recoil some.

For a muzzle brake, a two or three port one should do well. JP, Lantac, Precision Armament, and others make good ones (and they're not suuuper different from each other).

Stocks are too subjective to make a single recommendation, but lots of people like the Magpul STR, ACS, ACS-L, and MOE SL. There's also the B5/LMT SOPMOD and B5 Bravo.

Edited by FaRKle!

Maybe the poster just wants a Milspec size Receiver Extension because everyone on the Net say's its better , stronger & will make the rifle more accurate & make you rich , beyond belief ?  <dontknow>

All that needs to be changed is the Receiver Extension ( Buffer tube ) as has been said , all your parts will go into or on ,the MilSpec Receiver Extension , chose your Stock to fit the smaller outside dia., MilSpec Receiver Extension.

Check in the 308 Technical section for Parts or Building, to review Muzzle Devices. Always use a Barrel vice blocks or Barrel Locking device to remove or install muzzle devices , some are Loc tited on . 

Maybe the poster just wants a Milspec size Receiver Extension because everyone on the Net say's its better , stronger & will make the rifle more accurate & make you rich , beyond belief ?  <dontknow>

All that needs to be changed is the Receiver Extension ( Buffer tube ) as has been said , all your parts will go into or on ,the MilSpec Receiver Extension , chose your Stock to fit the smaller outside dia., MilSpec Receiver Extension.

Check in the 308 Technical section for Parts or Building, to review Muzzle Devices. Always use a Barrel vice blocks or Barrel Locking device to remove or install muzzle devices , some are Loc tited on .

Well he also said he wants recoil reduction/smoothing. Changing to an AR-10 buffer system is cheaper than buying one LR-308 heavy buffer...

And a Tubb's  Flat wire ,Buffer spring will do the same for less $$ & all the poster has to do is purchase a Commercial stock of their choice .     <thumbsup>

Nothing wrong with a Commercial Receiver Extension , I have one on my 16"308AR & has been working fine for years . I can tell you the Superior spring will make a big difference in recoil . <dontknow>

Tubb Precision AR-10 CS Buffer Spring (Fits both Carbine and Standard lengh stocks)

ARBUFSR_1-228x228.jpg
ARBUFSR_1-74x74.jpg ARBUFSR_2_xlarge2_8-74x74.jpg ARBUFSR_3-74x74.jpg
Brand: David Tubb
Product Code: ARBUFSR
Availability: 2195
Price: $29.95
Qty:

High Performance Tubb Precision Flatwire Buffer Spring for AR-10, SR-25 Rifles & Carbines. This Tubb Precision AR-10, SR-25 Flatwire Buffer Spring fits both carbine and standard length stocks.

Why should you use Tubb Precision Flatwire Buffer Springs?

-Extended life at optimum performance! Many conventional buffer springs are constructed from music wire or non post winding processed stainless steel. Their performance becomes suspect in as little as 500 rounds and can cause rifle performance to degrade to the point that rifle function will change. We fielded many questions from people complaining about "mystery malfunctions" when their rifles get past that round count , and we've found installation of a Tubb Precision Flatwire Buffer Spring cures nearly all of them, and it cures them for good.

-Tubb Precision Flatwire Buffer Springs are unique in the fact that their load and compression rates fluctuate significantly less than a standard buffer spring.

Standard buffer spring load
Bolt in battery: 7.2 lbs
Bolt locked open: 16.5 lbs

Standard buffer spring variation: 7.5 lbs

Tubb Precision Flatwire Buffer Spring
Bolt in battery: 11.1 lbs
Bolt locked open: 15.0 lbs

Tubb Precision Flatwire Buffer Spring variation: 3.9 lbs

The Tubb Precision Flatwire Buffer Spring provides a more positive lock up when the bolt is in battery while providing the user with a linear pull when locking the bolt back instead of the clunky progressive feel of a standard mil spec buffer spring

This is the last Buffer Spring you'll ever need for your 308 AR! Tubb Precision springs are duty rated for 500,000 compression cycles at maximum performance.

Enhanced rifle performance - Due to the superior nature of its material, Tubb Precision Flatwire Buffer Springs have the same power as conventionally constructed "extra power" springs, yet provide that extra energy using a lighter spring weight. Correct timing and resistance on the recoil stroke and a controlled rebound ensures reliable feeding with consistent forward thrust. The result is that the rifle functions flawlessly and stays on target better.

With the Tubb Precision Flatwire Buffer Spring, the bolt will remain locked a little longer, allowing pressures more time to subside. This means getting those heavy bullets to needed velocities can be more readily accomplished.

Tubb Precision Springs cure spring induced malfunctions for the life of the rifle.

Unaffected by temperature - Music wire and carbon steel springs are adversely affected by temperatures as low as only 175° F. TubbSprings perform flawlessly in excess of 700° F. Performance and function will not change during rapid fire conditions.

Perfect consistency - Tubb Precision Flatwire Buffer Springs are made to Stringent 9002 Quality Control Standards. Certified materials use, and our exclusive post-winding processing guarantees true, consistent performance. Conventional AR-10, SR-25 buffer springs are notorious for exhibiting wide variances in installed load height, compression and rebound performance, and even length.

Unless you're using Tubb Precision springs in your rifle, not only are you frequently replacing springs, but rifle performance may be continually changing with each replacement.

MADE IN THE USA

Edited by survivalshop