• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

How do I tell which DPMS LR 308 I have?

BillDiego

Bill you wanting to know upper heights? or what? for height check this out  :) Wash

https://troyind.com/sites/troyind.com/files/rtc-attachments/DPMS_RECEIVERS_COMPARE.pdf

for anything else please be more specific

if you mean which complete rifle that you bought?  http://dpms-gii.com/full.html

Edited by washguy

I don't know how to determine which LR I have, Gen 1, Gen 2.  What's the skinny?

Compare the pistol grip area with an AR-15. The G1 has a longer receiver area behind where the pistol grip mounts. The G2 has the same length receiver area behind the pistol grip as an AR-15.

Bill you wanting to know upper heights? or what? for height check this out  :) Wash

https://troyind.com/sites/troyind.com/files/rtc-attachments/DPMS_RECEIVERS_COMPARE.pdf

for anything else please be more specific

if you mean which complete rifle that you bought?  http://dpms-gii.com/full.html

Well, this is interesting. The height of my upper above the charging handle is ½ inch.  Mine isn't even listed on the G II brochure. Where do I go from here? 

Well, this is interesting. The height of my upper above the charging handle is ½ inch.  Mine isn't even listed on the G II brochure. Where do I go from here?

Bill    So okay.... you gotta go from square one...is this a factory built gun or homebuilt?  whats on rolled on the lower? is it new or used? what does your paperwork say it is? how bout a pic that would be nice? did you buy it in a store or dark alley some place?

if its not listed in the G2 brochure...then bingo you aint got a G2....Mattlock would be proud    :)  Wash

Pics, like Fark said.  Post 'em, and we'll tell you what model it is, if it's a factory-built rifle.

If you have 1/2" above the charging handle, it's damn sure not the G II.  It's the high-rider upper on something...

Edited by 98Z5V

How do you know when buying a DPMS LR-308 that you are buying a rifle that was produced completely by DPMS or whether it was assembled from by an end user.

The answer is easy. DPMS adds a "K" to the serial number of lower received that are sold as parts.

This can be important when seeking warranty repairs. From our beloved leader

So Bill you got yourself a nice factory weapon..Congrats!

Now for your own good please take down the pic of the serial number....I always see the serial blurred out

gotta be a good reason...lol

okay lets do it....first...you need a DPMS claw (308) for holding the upper.....some punches...allen wrenches and a vice

go to the front page and you will see some vendors like brownell for that stuff. determine the diameter of the barrel at the gas block before getting one...low profile

ive never shopped for a handguard for a highrise but lets get busy!.....get a good trigger too!

:) Wash

Bill you are welcome  it would be a .936 at the gb.....go to edit post...then take the pic down...just like you did when you put it up

easy peasy. Be careful on the nomenclature of "highrise" DPMS has different upper heights...theres low and high...then theres yours which is way high you know what to look for since you measured yours,but before you buy...come back and show us..so you dont get the wrong one      :) Wash

Thank you again Wash, Here is what I am looking at as a possibility:

http://www.apexhandguard.com/2650-308-dpms-12-625-rifle-length-10-4-oz-with-hardware-apex-gatorgrip-handguard/

Lowered gas blocks are all over the place, Is the gas port sealed in any way? I've yet to take it apart to see how it mates with the barrel in there. 

At my age BUIS' aren't an option, therefore having a continuous "topline" on the weapon doesn't matter to me as much as having the extra hand guard length.  This rifle will probably only punch paper and the occasional coyote. If, as they say, the TSHTF, there are plenty of more suitable options available to me. wink, wink. 

APEX is awesome! light and well made....they make screw on top rails...I would call them and tell em what you got...you might get lucky and they will have or make one for you...I like handguards that cover the gb...so measure...I dunno whether you have a rifle length or middy...prolly rifle?   the gb just slides on and screws down...no sealant...the carbon does it for you   :)  Wash

Well its not that easy , DPMS is notorious for using some kind of loc-tite on their Gas blocks & Hand Guards , but you might get lucky & it will tap off . You are lucky you are not using a continuous rail on the hand guard ( not that you will find one to match up to the Target height rail you have ) , because all you have to do is make sure you get a hand guard for a DPMS Gen. I  Receiver & your good to go .

Sure looks like its a Carbine Gas system , but could be a Mid length . any 12" Free Float Hand Guard will work fine  & can go longer , if you like it . There are a bunch of them out there & as said , not worried about which rail height , does make it easy .

Some kind of strap wrench will work to get the Hand Guard off , but may need to heat the Nut area of the Hand Guard up , to loosen any Loc-Tite up , if it won't turn with just the strap wrench . Just need "the Block " to hold the Upper Receiver for removal .

Here's a two 12" Hand guards , with Rifle length gas systems ,with added top rails , which you don't want & these's Hand guards don't come with them. 

post-11255-0-58341800-1427394910_thumb.j

Edited by survivalshop

The answer is easy. DPMS adds a "K" to the serial number of lower received that are sold as parts.

Yep, last digit in the serial is a K if it was made as a stripped lower.  They don't deviate from that.

Uhmm, so you think my "Hunter" may be a mid length? Does that matter if I'm using a low gas block? 

No , as long as your low profile gas block fits under the Hand guard . I have had problems with some of the clamp type of Gas blocks , which I like to use , but the Micro ones work OK .

That's an Adjustable gas block & may come in handy , depending what length your gas system is . I would also measure your Barrel where the gas block is attached to make sure what Gas Block you have , I wouldn't guess .  0.750" , 0.875" or  0.936"

Yes, I have measured. My barrel diameter is .936. The vendor is on vacation till the 1st of April, I will make certain of all the dimensions of the new block before I buy.